Re: 350 Chevy Cylinder Head Removal

Thanks, Loren,

It would have been some kind of miracle if I had been able to pry the head off with eight (!) bolts still in the block!

I didn't see them because I pulled the noob trick of only seeing the ones I wanted to see in my Chiltons (slapping forehead), and the exhaust manifold was not pulled back out of the way far enough. The dipstick tube was blocking the manifold. The dipstick tube is held in place by a hidden tab and bolt that are not shown or mentioned anywhere in the manual.

Now I will pull it apart and see whether any of the pistons got damaged while they were bending the valves after my timing chain slipped.

Thanks again, especially for your patient reply to a newbie type question. I haven't had an engine apart since my old '70 Pontiac 400 a number of years ago, and the Chevy has a lot of little things to know, just to get it apart.

Niner

>Subject: 350 Chevy Cylinder Head Removal > >From: "97T" snipped-for-privacy@spamthis.com > >Date: 8/1/2003 7:31 AM Pacific Standard Time > >Message-id: > > > >Anyone got any tricks for getting a cylinder head unstuck from the block > >without damaging something? > > > >86 Suburban 350 over 100K miles > >All head bolts and attached accessories removed > >"Tap gently around the head with a rubber mallet until the head comes loose" > >doesn't work LMAO > >Large hammer and a length of 2 x 4 makes nice kindling > >Various attempts at prying different points didn't work > >Reluctant to start in with a cold chisel, don't want to damage mating > >surfaces > > > >Thanks in advance > > > >NinerSevenTango > > Niner: > > Make damn sure you got 17 head bolts removed per head. I use a large cold > chisel between the block/head mating surfaces at the front of the assembly. > Shouldn't take much to get it to loosen up. > > > Respectfully submitted, > > Loren Knighton > Woodland, CA. > > Under the hood since 1964 > Member TRNI IATN >
97T

Thanks Stephen,

Turns out it might come off easier if I remove all the bolts first.

DOH!

Thanks for answering,

NinerSevenTango

Reply to
97T

Yep, just leave a couple head bolts in loose first.

Reply to
JimV