Re: Electric cars head toward another dead end

On Sun, 10 Feb 2013 07:48:18 -0800, whoyakidding's ghost wrote:

I pointed out earlier that the Volt is right at average new car cost after tax credits. About $33k. In one ear, out the other.. Most people have poor understanding of finances. What's the "average" car? There is none. My cars have always been low-cost used, and I've done most the maintenance myself. The lowest cost in the link you posted above is leagues beyond my cost. But I have 2 daughters who recently bought Hyundai Santa Fe's and paid right near Volt price. Which, I repeat, is "average" new car price. To them the Santa Fe is the head turner. The same people who won't flinch at a $40k pick-up truck used almost entirely to commute and fetch groceries are real quick to yell "Too expensive!" about the lesser cost of a Volt. Then you get into actual yearly miles. For me I would hardly ever have to put gas in a Volt. Ideal in that respect.. Sweet, so sweet. My electric rates are very low too. And I also know IT HAS A GAS TANK, AN ENGINE, AND UNRESTRICTED RANGE. Just about every joker knocking the Volt still thinks it's a purely "electric car" and restricts you to driving 40 miles a day. No matter what how many times you correct them, they forget in about 5 minutes. They move their mind control to the "no logic" setting. Why? It's not about logic. It's all partisan politics. reactionary response to perceived "greenies," or GM hatred engendered by being a sucker for a Vega or some other GM model that screwed them.

"Individual responsibility" never seems to work too well work well in this - maybe "mass responsibility." That's reflected by the politicians elected, and that's largely dependant on the market force of gasoline price. The success of plug-in hybrids, electrics and alternative fuel vehicles are largely determined by how gasoline price shapes regulation and law. But it always comes back to almost pure supply/demand in the U.S. Most countries put a fed tax on a gallon of gas of +$3.00. U.S? 18 cents. That's one big reason for a bridge collapsing. But hey, this is the U.S., land of wide open ranges, cowboy hats, and pick-up trucks. I think it will really take +5 buck a gallon gas to ramp up "non traditionally" powered cars in the U.S. Europe might be testing that now for the Volt market. The Ampera has helped boost "Volt" sales to +30k for 2012. One option for GM to make the Volt "acceptable" is to produce a Volterado. That's a pick-up with a beefed up Volt drivetrain, 4 feet of battery space in front of an 8 foot bed, 20" wheels and a lift package so it rides way up high, way up high. Them cowboys would cough up $70-80k for that bad boy. Just need to sell a good charger with it. Top Gear was uncharacteristically laudatory toward GM with their Ampera review.

"The Ampera's range-extender set-up is currently the most realistic of all green-car tech. The future starts here" "Range-extender" will never catch on. You don't call a damn car a "range-extender." It's like calling suspenders "galluses." Plug-in hybrid works just fine.

Reply to
Vic Smith

If electric cars become prevalent every where, they would need DC fast chargers every where. I was reading about a London taxicab outfit that went kaput.And something about electric taxicabs.

Reply to
JR

And Venus Equinox with their Martian tubes that took energy directly from the Sun and turned it into electricity. Interesting Science Fiction for when it was written. :)

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

"40 F: Italian and English cars won't start." I do drive with the windows open at 40F.

Reply to
Jim Wilkins