Re: Howling 1989 BMW

I have a problem with my 1989 BMW 325i. Lately I will be driving down

> the freeway (rarely but does happen on surface streets) and the car > will suddenly lose all power. There is no indication that it is about > to happen but when it does the is a howling sound coming from the > exhuast. If I pull over it will still be idling and I can slighly rev > it if I press on the gas. This increases the howling sound. If I don't > pull over and I press on the gas, the car doesn't rev and continures to > slow down (with other cars passing me on right and left). While on the > freeway, I have to put it in nuetral (it is an automatic), turn it off > and then re-start it, put it back in drive, and continue on. Restarting > it seems to cure the problem. If I have been driving for a while and it > happens, it is much more likely to do it a second and third time. This > isn't very safe. I took it to a repair shop and they couldn't replicate > the problem and said it was probably a transmission problem. I didn't > think it was but I took it to a transmission shop anyway and they said > the tranny was in perfect condition. I am not sure if it is an > electrical problem or something mechanical in the fuel system. The > other day, it did it after went over a major bump. But it happens on > smooth road as well. The howling sound is unlike anything I have heard > from a car. Sounds like a dog howling coming from the exhuast. Last > night I replaced the fuel pump and then it did it again this morning. I > also added some fuel system cleaner but I doubt it will solve the > problem. I was thinking maybe it could be the fuel pressure regulator > since it will still idel but won't rev. Although I don't know why it > would be howling. PLEASE HELP ME!!!!!! I don't want to get ride of > this car because when it isn't doing this it runs beautifully and get > up to 27 mpg even with 186k miles. Any suggestions would be extremely > helpful.

Clogged up radiator? 186k?

200,000 mile Lincoln Town Cars sometimes have your same symptons. The computer trips into get home mode with drastic reduced power so you wont destroy the motor. And you get the hooting sound with loss of power. >
Reply to
Nicik Name