Replacing all cooling hoses on my Altima?

Hiya,

My Altima has 94,000 miles on it and sometimes I can smell coolant boiling on the engine block.

I can't find any drip on the floor nor any change in the overflow tank. So I know the leak is very minor so far.

Is it best just to replace all the hoses to try to fix the problem? Is that the general idea when you have a nine year old car with high miles?

Thanks in advance.

Reply to
geo pearl

You replace hoses when they need replacing. You need to find the leak first, and then you can decide if you want, or need, to replace the hoses. You don't want to spend the time and money replacing all the hoses, and then find out that you need a major repair for the coolant leak.

Reply to
Bill Vanek

It depends. If you're like me, you'd wait until the problem becomes obvious. If you're the nervous type, changing the hoses might help ease your mind.

Me, I like excitement!

Reply to
dsi1

What's the schedule for changing the hoses? I've never let mine go for 94,000 miles. He can find the leak by using a cheap radiator coolant dye. Might well be a hose leaking, but he'll find out.

Reply to
Vic Smith

My schedule is to not fix it if it ain't broke. That's probably not too smart if you're talking about timing belts though. My Subaru had a belt that broke on me. It was supposed to be changed at 60K miles but it broke at 61K miles. Those Subaru engineers are amazing!

Reply to
dsi1