Restoring a car that has been sitting for 10+ years

I have a Cadillac Cimmeron 86. It has been sitting unstarted in a heated garage since 1992. My guess is that the gas is now dried tar or something close to it. Aside from putting in a new battery, I imagine I should somehow clean and drain the gas tank if possible. Any ideas on this would be greatly appretiated.

Reply to
jerryls

Drain and clean the fuel tank, clean all fuel lines, replace fuel filter. I'd also change the engine oil and filter, remove all the spark plugs, spray some penetrating oil in the cylinders, and rotate the engine with the plugs out to make sure the rings aren't seized to the walls. Drain and flush the cooling system, replace belts and hoses. Even with all that, odds are that there's been some deterioration while sitting. If the oil wasn't changed for a long time before it was parked, acids in the oil may have etched the bearings pretty badly. Any corrosion on the cylinder walls will abrade the rings and increase oil consumption, etc.

On the other hand- its a Cadillac Cimarron. The world won't shed tears if it self-destructs when you start it ;-) (Sorry, couldn't resist).

Reply to
Steve

And in addition, pay close attention to seals. Some may have dried out and there's a good chance it will spring a leak somewhere. Also, test the brake system thoroughly before driving any distance.

Reply to
John S.

You need to drain the tank and pull it to see what is inside. Many radiator shops can "boil out" the tank and make it good as new. Change the sock filter and make sure the lines are clear.

All your belts, hoses and fluids will need to be changed. The brake master cylinder and wheel cylinders will need to be changed. Good idea to go ahead and change the rubber lines while you have it apart. After that many years of sitting there will be damage to those parts that can result in a catastrophic failure. Don't assume that just because the brakes work now (if they do) that it is safe.

Steve B.

Reply to
Steve B.

wow!!! after all the scary comments about your cimmeron, - unless there is a strong

sentimental value attached to the car, I might advertise it "as is" - a stored car for

10 years with a reasonable price stated, and put the proceeds in your pocket, or

buy another car.

surely you are not going to do ALL the suggested pre-start preps - without knowing more about it's condition.

In another few years it will take on another classification.

ps - you might be lucky with your project, hope so, expect the worst, hope for the best.

mho v=83e

Reply to
fiveiron

Back in 1976 I was working in Scotland. Working with me was a mad New Zealander who found a Mercedes car which had been abandoned in a back garden for over 10 years and which was covered in green moss. After changing the mechanical fuel pump he drove it 15 miles home and treated it to an oil, brake fluid and tyre change [with used tyres] and a wash before driving it all the way to Munich in Germany for their beer festival. He drove it for a few months after that before flying back to NZ and had no serious problem with it. Oh, and he did change the wiper bleades at some point as I remember it. It cost him one small sack of potatoes to buy.

Huw

Reply to
Huw

My first question is 'why bother'? These were crappy cars when they were new. A Chevy cavalier with some added chrome. I wouldn't waste my time. Best bet is try to sell the car to someon who doesn't know any better or to part it out.

Reply to
Alex Rodriguez

That is a very charitable statment.

Exactly.