rotary engine -- what's the name ??

Brian Lawson wrote:

I've flown an ultralight with a Rotax 503 2-stroke and my CTSW has a 912 4-stroke. I don't much care for any 2-stroke, but the 912 is a beautiful and sweet-running little piece of work.
On Thu, 25 Oct 2007 00:14:50 -0400, "J. Clarke"

Interesting! How many horses does the Mazda 13-B put out? I like their engineering. (We have had two Ford Festivas for an aggregate of 300K miles with way low maintenance issues)
Brian W
Brian Whatcott wrote:

Depends on the version--typical estimates are around 185 in aircraft trim without turbos. With turbos over 250.
--John
On Thu, 25 Oct 2007 23:19:54 -0400, "J. Clarke"

Now that sounds useful: a 2 even 4 seat light single could do well with this. I guess it needs a PRSU? They can be pricey too, I see. Any thoughts?
Brian Whatcott Altus OK -
Brian Whatcott wrote:

There's at least one PSRU available that is designed specifically for the Mazda.
In principle you could change out the internal gearing and do away with the reduction unit--I've never had Wankel apart so I don't know if the gearing on the rotors is removable.

--John
On Fri, 26 Oct 2007 13:36:13 -0400, "J. Clarke"

Using auto gearboxes is usually a Very Bad Thing. Those lower gears are not intended for continuous hi torque. Top gear is usually a straight through (no gear) arrangement. Still overdrive is not.
Brian W
Brian Whatcott wrote:

http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Image:Wankel_engine_diagram.png
Note items 5 and 7.
--John
On Sat, 27 Oct 2007 00:30:16 -0400, "J. Clarke"

Ah, good one John!
Count the teeth on item 5 and 7, and work out what happens if you vary the ratio. If that is what you are suggesting.
Brian W
At sixty five years old, I am,,,, I am used to American measurments.Stuff I learned in my school days.It is easy for me to envision cubic inches, other American kinds of mesurments.I reckon because it has been ingrained in my mind since forever.I am not interested in the way(s) foreigners measure things.Just does not compute with me.This is America. cuhulin

There is no internal gearing that affects output speed. The internal gears time the rotor so it progresses accuratelly around the trochoidal housing.
Chas Hurst
Chas Hurst wrote:

Oh? You also need to take a look at
http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Image:Wankel_engine_diagram.png
The shaft is geared to the rotor that gear ratio most assuredly does affect output speed.
--John

You have a misconception that's quite common. The rotor is NOT geared to the shaft. It orbits around the stationary gear.
Here's an animation that shows it better than the Wiki article. http://www.keveney.com/Wankel.html
Chas Hurst wrote:

Interesting.
--John

Here's another link with photos of actual parts.
http://auto.howstuffworks.com/rotary-engine.htm
Chas Hurst wrote:

I see now--it's really a reciprocating engine with a "differently abled" piston.
I've been toying with the idea of building a LoCost with a Mazda engine. Might do it once I get my current project list cleared, just to have an excuse to take one apart.
--John

A rotory powered LoCost would be a very nice drive and a fun project.

Not familiar with this name. It's not a pet name for a Lotus 7 kit is it?
Brian W
Brian Whatcott wrote:

It's the car described in Ron Champion's book "Build Your Own Sports Car for as Little as UKP250". While it has a lot of similarities with a Seven and can easily be mistaken for one, it's not technically a Seven.
--John
On Sat, 27 Oct 2007 20:55:37 -0400, "J. Clarke"

I still enjoy reading a book about building a race car from mini bits _ I think he called it the Terrapin - he used brazed square section tube. He worked out steering geometry etc. from articulated cardboard models. Must get Ron Champion's work too. Ouch! Amazon wanted $150 for a copy - too high.
Thanks
Brian Whatcott Altus OK
Brian Whatcott wrote:

Try Amazon UK. They're listing it for about 13 UKP and 7 UKP shipping to the US.
--John