rotary engine -- what's the name ??

Depends on the version--typical estimates are around 185 in aircraft trim without turbos. With turbos over 250.

Reply to
J. Clarke

After all these years, I learn something new. That's cool. (Although, whenever I need to convert, the accuracy I need is either, "a bit more than a yard," or out to at least three decimal places.)

Reply to
Turby

Yup - my mistake in engine name.

Reply to
John S.

Now that sounds useful: a 2 even 4 seat light single could do well with this. I guess it needs a PRSU? They can be pricey too, I see. Any thoughts?

Brian Whatcott Altus OK

-
Reply to
Brian Whatcott

Dear Turby:

5/16" diameter tubing and 8 mm tubing will fit in the same compression fittings. 5/8" and 16 mm are at the extreme limit of compression fitting tolerance (0.004 inch difference).

David A. Smith

Reply to
N:dlzc D:aol T:com (dlzc)

That's what's so spiffy about this. It's quick and easy to figure that three meters is 9'10-1/8" and you're off (high) by 0.015". You expended no more effort than the "bit more than a yard" estimate and got accuracy to two decimal places in a jiff, and better than five if you subtract out the 0.015".

Specifically, a meter is 39.37007874" and my measure is 39.375".

Reply to
clifto

Actually, the meter is *both* 39.37 exactly (US Survey foot) and the number you cite. Go figure.

David A. Smith

Reply to
N:dlzc D:aol T:com (dlzc)

There's at least one PSRU available that is designed specifically for the Mazda.

In principle you could change out the internal gearing and do away with the reduction unit--I've never had Wankel apart so I don't know if the gearing on the rotors is removable.

Reply to
J. Clarke

I hope this isn't too off topic.Once in a while I see a funny Mitsubishi auto commercial on tv.It is an elderly lady and she has her house dress on and a cloth on the top of her head, as though she is cleaning her house. She says, Dontchoo BUY no ugly truck! cuhulin

Reply to
cuhulin

5/16" sounds like a an odd size. I'm sure it must be standard for something, but not where I'm from. (I design a lot of tubes, and spec a lot of fittings. We have tube bending machines. You input the bend data, push a button, and out comes a bent tube.) I'd guess the garage mechanic might need to kluge both metric and inch fittings/tubes together, but it seems like a rare occurance. Vendors, like Parker, have catalogs of both inch and metric fittings. It's just too easy to buy tube and fittings that match to cobble together parts not designed for each other.
Reply to
Turby

Different feet. Like US and Imperial gallons, or Statute vs Nautical vs Roman miles.

Reply to
J. Clarke

AIR, (& without resorting to Google,) the standard meter started out in France as a stick of some metal stored in the French Academy or some place. Then it was redefined as an atomic distance dependant on some isotope. I don't think the distances are exactly the same, but it's close enough for guv'mint work. I don't remember the history of the inch, but you know it's flexed over the centuries.

Reply to
Turby

Dear Turby:

I had to deliver deionized water to a part manufactured in Japan. They can get 8mm fittings cheap. I can get 5/16"OD teflon tubing cheap, cheaper than 8mm anyway. So it was a win-win.

David A. Smith

Reply to
N:dlzc D:aol T:com (dlzc)

Dear Turby:

Good memory. Characteristic wavelengths of certain elements (xenon perhaps, 1960). Finally established as c times a certain amount of time (1983).

Big time. Now back to the engines. This stuff is largely boring...

David A. Smith

Reply to
N:dlzc D:aol T:com (dlzc)

I saw five gallons of plastic buckets full of urine on street corners in Asia. The way I think of meters is three times three equals three times that much (in American measurement) plus three.I never measure thingys in foreign increments anyway.I am not going to try to learn any new languages.I am too old a dog to learn any new tricks. cuhulin

Reply to
cuhulin

Before that, it was conceived as the length of the meridian distance from the pole, passing through Paris to the equator - a quater of a polar circumference in fact. The Enlightenment, and all that. It didn't quite work out that way though.

Brian Whatcott Altus OK

Reply to
Brian Whatcott

Using auto gearboxes is usually a Very Bad Thing. Those lower gears are not intended for continuous hi torque. Top gear is usually a straight through (no gear) arrangement. Still overdrive is not.

Brian W

Reply to
Brian Whatcott

You're only off by a factor of 10 million, but I knew what you meant.

It did though- it's not a coincidence that the circumference of the earth is almost exactly 40 000 km.

Reply to
Mark Olson

There is no internal gearing that affects output speed. The internal gears time the rotor so it progresses accuratelly around the trochoidal housing.

Chas Hurst

Reply to
Chas Hurst

Note items 5 and 7.