rotary engine -- what's the name ??

Oh? You also need to take a look at

The shaft is geared to the rotor that gear ratio most assuredly does affect output speed.

Reply to
J. Clarke

You have a misconception that's quite common. The rotor is NOT geared to the shaft. It orbits around the stationary gear.

Here's an animation that shows it better than the Wiki article.

Chas Hurst

And if you don't have a half inch wrench handy, a 13mm open end will do most of the time.

Robert

Reply to
Robert Bolton

Interesting.

Reply to
J. Clarke
[ the standard meter ]

You mean the meter is not quite the desired fraction of the polar circumference, I suppose? :-)

Brian W

Reply to
Brian Whatcott

Ah, good one John!

Count the teeth on item 5 and 7, and work out what happens if you vary the ratio. If that is what you are suggesting.

Brian W

Reply to
Brian Whatcott

Here's another link with photos of actual parts.

Chas Hurst

At sixty five years old, I am,,,, I am used to American measurments.Stuff I learned in my school days.It is easy for me to envision cubic inches, other American kinds of mesurments.I reckon because it has been ingrained in my mind since forever.I am not interested in the way(s) foreigners measure things.Just does not compute with me.This is America. cuhulin

Reply to
cuhulin

I see now--it's really a reciprocating engine with a "differently abled" piston.

I've been toying with the idea of building a LoCost with a Mazda engine. Might do it once I get my current project list cleared, just to have an excuse to take one apart.

Reply to
J. Clarke

A rotory powered LoCost would be a very nice drive and a fun project.

Reply to
Chas Hurst

Blame it on planetary cellulitis.

Reply to
clifto

Not familiar with this name. It's not a pet name for a Lotus 7 kit is it?

Brian W

Reply to
Brian Whatcott

It's the car described in Ron Champion's book "Build Your Own Sports Car for as Little as UKP250". While it has a lot of similarities with a Seven and can easily be mistaken for one, it's not technically a Seven.

Reply to
J. Clarke

I still enjoy reading a book about building a race car from mini bits _ I think he called it the Terrapin - he used brazed square section tube. He worked out steering geometry etc. from articulated cardboard models. Must get Ron Champion's work too. Ouch! Amazon wanted $150 for a copy - too high.

Thanks

Brian Whatcott Altus OK

Reply to
Brian Whatcott

Try Amazon UK. They're listing it for about 13 UKP and 7 UKP shipping to the US.

Reply to
J. Clarke

Terrapin, sounds familar.I guess I had read an article years ago in whichever auto magazine. cuhulin

Reply to
cuhulin

I scratched round a little and settled for an eBay.uk bid I saw Haynes is offering a new version with the same title, different author - similar illustration. I thought I would stick with your recommendation.

Brian W

Reply to
Brian Whatcott

Actually there are three that kind of form a set. Ron Champion's is the original. Chris Gibbs' is designed around a single-donor concept using a Ford Sierra--he also cleaned up the drawings some. Keith Tanner's is also designed around a single-vehicle donor but using a Miata. Ron's is more generic--he goes more into how to piece things together from what you find at the junk yard.

Keith Tanner also has an excellent build diary online at

Chris Gibbs also has a site up at

J. Clarke

Making a home-brew sports car out of a Miata? There's a concept to juggle with!

Thanks

Brian W

Reply to
Brian Whatcott

Don't forget about the experimental Torroidal ''Rotary'' engines.I don't think they ever went much of anywhere though. cuhulin

Reply to
cuhulin