self adjuster on drum brakes

if my drum brakes have self adjusters, when i replace shoes, can't i just adjust the shoes so they EASILY allow the drum to fit back on?

i've heard you should adjust it so the drum BARELY fits on, and then turn the star until the drum is stuck, then back off on the star a tiny bit.

if you have self adjusting mechanism though, why does it matter? why can't i just give it tons of space between the shoes and drum, then back up and stop a dozen times so the self adjuster expands the shoes the right amount?

Reply to
Martin Lynch

JimV

You have to manually set up the star wheel some before the 'self adjuster' will work.

If the star wheel is too compressed, the cable on the self adjuster will be too loose to grab anything.

I also don't put the adjusting arm on the star wheel when putting the drum back on, I make sure it is off to the side so the cable has tension on it. If the arm is cocked on the star wheel, the cable is too loose and can fall off it's track when wiggling the drum on.

Then when I adjust the star wheel, the arm pulls up into place.

That just happened to a friend of mine and I fixed it for him yesterday.

Mike

Mart>

Reply to
Mike Romain

Mike Romain is right.

If they are too loose, the adjusters will never work...well, 'never' could mean 'in your lifetime' too.

It isn't a hard job to preadjust the them.

Reply to
Larry Smith

In addition, the pedal will be very low if the drums aren't adjusted.

Reply to
saeengineer

Reply to
MudPuppy1976

They need to be properly maintained.

If the star wheel setup isn't greased or anti-sieze covered on the threads, they will seize up.

If they aren't installed properly (very common) the cables won't pull.

I did the rear brakes on my bosses Ford van and the dealer did the last set and one side was worn out where the other side never had the shoes touch the drum, they had the cable off it's track.

Anyone need a passenger side set of Ford van brake shoes? Got a new set still in the box....

Mike

"MudPuppy1976

Reply to
Mike Romain

Funny that, VWs have a wedge adjuster and it *never* works in my experience - it's just designed wrong. The drums can still be within their wear limit but if the shoes get thin you will have a low pedal because the wedge isn't thick enough. I've replaced several "good" drums with new ones just because I wanted a good feeling pedal.

nate

"MudPuppy1976

Reply to
Nathan Nagel

That is painting with a pretty broad brush. I haven't had any problems at all with starwheel type adjusters IF they are properly installed, adjusted, and serviced .

The absolutely wost adjusters I have ever worked on are some of the GM rear disc shitteaux's. Making them work is not hard, but keeping them working is nearly impossible.

"MudPuppy1976

Reply to
Larry Smith