Shims on disc brake pad?

Usually the manufacturers claim in their catalog this the shims reduce noise. How is this so? The cheapo pads seem not to have them. Anyway when changing brakes, I often find it is a tight squeeze when fitting new pads and rotors together, so I rip the shims off to gain a quarter of a millimetre more clearance.

Reply to
siggi

Ah, the age-old debate about brake pad shims! You know, they're the unsung heroes of your braking system. These little guys, made of rubber or metal, sit snugly between the brake calipers and pads, helping to reduce noise and improve performance. It's true, the cheaper pads might not always have them, but that doesn't mean they're not important.

When you're replacing your brakes, it can be tempting to toss those shims aside just to gain that extra bit of clearance. But let me tell you, friend, that's a slippery slope. You see, without those shims, you're likely to end up with all sorts of clangs and rattles. And nobody wants to drive a car that sounds like a haunted house, right?

Now, there are ways to reduce brake noise without using shims, like using a special spray. But remember, that's just a Band-Aid solution. Those shims are there for a reason, and they really do help prevent your pads and rotors from clashing like cymbals.

Reply to
Motors Advisor