Steering hose sprays exhaust when making U-turn. `88 Honda Accord lxi

After an automobile accident the steering reservoir was crushed spilling the fluids onto the pavement while the engine continue to idle for a lengthy time and driven a couple miles. Days after the repairs were made the steering began to leak from the gearbox. A month later the high pressure power steering hose began to squirt (from the center of the rubber hose) upon every U-turn. It will spray the exhaust creating a plume of smoke. Genuine fluids were used.

I am now deciding whether I should replace the pump (which has a relief valve that may be broken) or to replace the gearbox (which may have damaged seals.) The service manual lacks a normal operating pressure spec for the pump. How do I determine which component(s) needs replacing?

Thanks

Reply to
Sam Nickaby

The pump is a high-pressure low-volume type. Pressures are on the order of 1500psi...

Professor Check out FlashAlert at www.telstar-electr> After an automobile accident the steering reservoir was crushed spilling the

Reply to
Professor

I would start by replacing the broken hose. Power steering fluid is flamable and every time you let it spray on the exhaust manifold you risk setting your car on fire. This isn't something to be playing around with.

Steve B.

Reply to
Steve B.

"Sam Nickaby" wrote

< which component(s) needs replacing?

Thanks for the helpful advices, everyone.

I'd attempt to replace the high pressure hose, no luck. Now, I'm thinking of cut and splice. Took gearbox out today, hard as labor camp. I am looking for a good strong clamp that will clamp a 1500psi rubber/fiberglass/nylon tube. Where can I find one?

Thanks

Reply to
Sam Nickaby

no luck there

1500 psi will put your eye out NOW. Missed the OP, you need a hose or pump. Or BFH.
Reply to
wws

I agree. Don't try to splice a high-pressure hose!

Ken

Reply to
NapalmHeart

You don't have the necessary equipment to clamp a high pressure power steering hose. If you can't get a new one take your old one to the local hydraulic hose place and have them fix it for you. Virtually every town has one... they make the hydraulic hoses for all the dump trucks and fork lifts and stuff like that

Steve B.

Reply to
Steve B.

and be very careful handling the hose when under pressure.

A pinhole will work like a needle, pumping fluid under the skin.

Some of the hose places will come on site to make up hoses.

Reply to
marks542004