steering wheel alignment

When my car is going straight, my steering wheel is turned about 30 degrees in the CCW direction. I don't really mind it, but I need to know whether or not this is a safety hazard. Thanks. -Emmett

Reply to
Emmett

if the steering wheel is installed wrong, it's probably fine. however, if it's that way beccause of age, then have your alignment checked. most shops check alignment for free, so either case i would do it to make sure.

in addition, check for uneven tire wear. that is also another sign of a misaligned suspension. in the long run, it could eat the tires up and cause a blowout.

Emmett wrote:

Reply to
Gerard

If the car is aligned by a competent shop, the wheel will be centered when you are going straight. Has it always been crokked? If so, it is possible the last shop to perform an alignment was incompetent. If it used to be properly centered and now isn't, then something has changed and you should get it checked out. In fact either way, you should get it checked out.

Ed

Emmett wrote:

Reply to
C. E. White

It helps if you remind them that they need ot straighten out the sterring wheel before they do the alignment and ask if they actually consider it to be part of the job. I once got an "tech" who was really more of a trained monkey who knew how to do an alignment but not how to center the steering wheel (and that's the last time a Mexican works on my car). I eventually returned a few days later and had their daytime person do it right, and they actually drove the car to make sure that the steering wheel was correct.

Reply to
Childfree Scott

I noticed the problem several months ago, and it seems to be getting gradually worse.

Reply to
Emmett

pothole season? if you're checking things yourself, attempt to wiggle the wheels after you've lifted the vehicle by the FRAME. if there is a wiggle, you've got some wearing components.

your best bet is to take it in for an alignment. don't ask for a 'check' just 'do it' if the tech has his head on straight, he's gonna notice any damaged or worn components and let you know they NEED to be replaced before an alignment can be attempted.

Reply to
MudPuppy

Approximately 9/15/03 19:08, Emmett uttered for posterity:

Hard to say. It could be a sign that you have a wheel alignment problem with something being worn enough it might make you nervous.

Or it could be that someone did a wheel alignment and neglected to center the wheel.

If this is something that just all of a sudden happened, I'd be far more worried than if it had been that way for coupla years and your tires are showing no unusual wear... and the car doesn't pull to the side [which again is a bit to be nervous about...]

Reply to
Lon Stowell

You haven't stated much of the condition of your vehicle.

One basic thing you can do is add more air to one tire, or remove a few lbs from the other tire.

The 2nd option is to readjust your tie rods.

Your alignment can be within specs, and can still have an off stearing wheel.

Something to do before bringing your vehicle for an alignment is to check out the truck. The frame hasn't had any damage to it.

your springs are in perfect condition, ride height is good tires are good ball joints, tie rods, inner tie rods, control arm bushings pitman arm steering idler, steering box is loose are all checked.

I dont have the exact number off hand. But having a tire out of spec, is like running the tire sideways on the car. If you notice strange tire wear, this will give you a hint how much your alignment is off.

I think you mentioned your truck is 20 years old, and if you didn't have an alignment yet, it is a good idea to do it, after you replace anything that looks worn out.

Reply to
Erik