97 F150 Loud Squeaking When Steering Wheel is Turned

Hey,

My '97 F150 makes a loud sqeuaking noise when the steering wheel is turned. Without looking at it, a mechanic friend said it may in the rack & pinion. My dad thinks its in the steering column. Its not the same sound when you need power steering fluid. This sound is just a loud squeaking like something needs lubed. Anyone experience anything similar?

Thanks

Reply to
bluedawg

On Sun, 19 Oct 2003 08:44:36 -0500, bluedawg rearranged some electrons to form:

Find a new mechanic "friend". There is no rack & pinion on an F150.

Reply to
David M

bluedawg wrote in news:x snipped-for-privacy@giganews.com:

In my friend's defense, I know jack about trucks and I added the rack. I think he actually said it might be in the pinion. Does that make more sense?

Thanks

Reply to
bluedawg

On Sun, 19 Oct 2003 14:57:27 -0500, bluedawg rearranged some electrons to form:

If he means "steering gear" then, maybe. But it sounds like your mechanic friend doesn't know jack either.

I would check to make sure all of the rod ends and other grease points have been greased. Also check the power steering fluid level.

Elsewhere in this newsgroup is another thread on noisy steering, there are some good posts in there about belt tensioners, etc.

Reply to
David M

Rack and pinion?? On a F-150?? Not.

Reply to
Steve Barker

The Pitman Arm squeaking is a well documented problem with late model F150s. If it is the Arm you have two choices: Replace the Arm = $$$$$$$$$$$ or get a grease gun and using a needle tip inject grease into the rubber boot. Use some kind of sealant to close the hole in the boot afterward.

-- 'Fritz the Cat' Blackburn VP-94 Techrep NAS New Orleans

Fritz Blackburn

Reply to
Marlin Singer

Well. It seems (if you read the message) it was a '97.

Reply to
Steve Barker

Like suggested already, check the Pitman arm. I have heard it called the idler arm on the driver's side. Anyway, My friend and I both bought new 1997 F150 and they both started making a steering noise within 75,000 miles. Both were Pitman arms. I got a drill, tap, and installed about 10 grease zerts on the steering system. Still driving the easy steering truck with no more problems with front end. Good luck.

Reply to
b.l.