steering wheel vibration.. stumped

Hello,

I had factory steel wheels and factory tires on my Focus and I recently got a set of used OEM 16" alloy wheels and a set of new Fuzion tires and now I'm getting a vibration like the wheels needs balancing. Vibration appeared right after the new setup.

Vibration becomes bothersome between 60-80 mph, but between 60-65 seems to be the resonance point. In the daylight, I could see the steering wheel vibrating at a relatively high frequency.

Having had done these, I'm not sure else I can do.

  1. Wheels are OEM Ford from a different trim of the same model and they're hub-centric.

  1. Spin balanced all four wheels, three times. Both readings are below

1/4oz for all four wheels.

  1. ForceMatch and Road Force balanced on Hunter GSP9700. ForceMatched to

Reply to
itsme.ultimate

I had a set of American Racing application correct alloys on My Impala that had a 60-80 range shake like that...first time I found that they hadn't cleaned the protectant off before applying the sticky weights, and I'd lost a few...then after they tried again, it was back...I quadrant balanced them on my bubble balancer and the problem dissappeared...

They say dynamic balance is better, but you still couldn't prove it by me.

Make sure they clocked the factory balance markings on the tires to the valve stems also. When they don't, it sometimes ends up needing so much weight on one side to balance, I think the mass of the weight sets up a harmonic...lotta times they don't even need weights when the marks are lined up...

Reply to
jeffcoslacker

I don't know much about "Force Matching" and "Road Force Balancing" and have considered them gimmicks until I learn that they are viable. I do know that you can't balance an egg. If a tire is out of round. it will ALWAYS vibrate. The amount of runout becomes more critical at higher speeds. At 80 mph, they need to be checked with a dial indicator. It's unreasonable to expect them to be perfectly smooth up through 80 mph, IMHO. The used wheels are another variable. At taose speeds, micrometer readings of runout may give you an idea of the problem.

Reply to
lsrx101

Hunter GSP9700 applies a pressure on the tire with a roller, then measure the variation in force between the axle and the road surface (simulated by the roller). If it was out of round, it would detect it.

Reply to
itsme.ultimate

I have a 2000 Focus and have had two sets of factory wheels on it. They are very easy to bend! You want to be sure of the runout is in spec. Perhaps check it again.

It might be helpful to see if you can isolate one wheel as the problem, or just minimize the problem. Switch wheels from front to back on one side only, and see if the problem gets better (or worse). Do the same on the other side. If the problem goes away, it means that the offending wheel is now on the back. You may wish to leave it there or try to reduce the problem.

Another approach is to remount the tire 180 degrees away from where it was. This assumes that the wheel and tire runouts are stacked, and changing the location will cancel them out.

Dan

(This account is not used for email.)

( snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com) writes:

Reply to
Dan Beaton

What about a CV cuff going wierd at speed?

Bass

Reply to
Bassasasin

As I deal with mostly older fords I will relate this, I sell the older style magnum and styled wheels. I don't believe in the road force approach to wheel balancing. I have had several sets of wheels that check as out of round on the new machines ( cars had a vibration), took one the car to another old time tire dealer. the mechanic stripped the wheel weights and then used and old fashioned bubble balancer, to rebalance the wheels. he simply split the value of weight needed between the front and rear of the wheel, no more vibration! Now I send all of wheel customers to him and no problem since.

Reply to
walt peifer

I don't think so.....

I would highly recommend you just jack up one tire at a time and spin it by hand while watching it or using a stick between the tire and ground to see if it is round.

Putting pressure on it with a roller sure won't pick this up.

These 'technicians' these days only use computers to tell then what is wrong, they forget what their eyes are for.

Mike

Mike Romain