RX300 Vibration Thru Steering Wheel Question

Greetings:

I took my 2003 RX300 in for its 10,000 mile service on Friday which included a tire rotation. All went well, but when I was driving home I noticed that I could feel more vibration than I remembered through the steering wheel. I checked the tire pressures, and they are fine. The vibration increases somewhat with vehicle speed, but it never gets to the point of the steering wheel shaking at 65 mph or 70mph that I've experienced in other vehicles when the tires were out of balance.

I'm planning to give my dealer a call to discuss it with them. At first I thought the front wheels might just need a balancing, but every RX300 that I've looked at only has one "weight" or whatever you call those things on the rim to balance the wheel, so I'm not so sure that it the problem. Maybe I just notice it more after a service? Any ideas?

Thanks,

Bob

Reply to
Bob Grabowski

Bob. you've probably got one wheel that is slightly out of balance. It was on the rear, now it's on the front where you are noticiing it more. It is also possible the tire itself is defective and again, you're just noticing it more that it is on the front.

I'm sure the dealer will take care of it. They fiddle with these issues all the time.

- Mark

Reply to
markjen

I had this happen with my 1999 RX. The dealer found that two of the tires had belt problems. They replaced all four under warranty and it was perfect.

Reply to
Stuck in Central Florida

I'd take it back to the dealership and ask them to check the balance. We have a 2002 RX300 and have found that the road vibration is VERY sensitive to the wheel balance. Chances are, the service was not done properly and somehow unbalanced one of your wheels, probably a front tire.

You'll notice the service intervals in your owner's manual recommends tire rotation with each oil change. I've never seen that before and find it REALLY annoying. However, we've also found it necessary.

Reply to
Mark Doernhoefer

Thanks Marks,

I called the Lexus dealer and, while they are polite, they are mechanical. I still miss Infiniti service. When I had a situation like this with my Infiniti, I called the service dept. and they said "bring it in at your convenience and we'll take care of it right away" and they did. Lexus tells me, "The next available appointment is Thursday August 28th"..I explained that I just had the 10,000 mile service done and that the problem didn't exist before the service was done. They acknowleged that, then said, "the next available appointment...". No, it's not an emergency so I took the 28th appointment. But with Infiniti, I drove into the parking lot, spoke to the service manager, (not advisor, manager) and the problem was corrected in a few minutes. With Lexus, it's going to take me a half hour to go through the "Valet check in" and speak to the service advisor. It's ashamed that Infiniti doesn't have an SUV that I like.

Bob

Reply to
Bob Grabowski

My experience with Lexus has been about the same for my wife's car. My local Honda dealer knows who I am and provides better service when I bring my Prelude in or one of our Civics.

Reply to
Tom Waugh

I took it back to Lexus this morning. The mechanic said that he didn't notice any excessive vibration but said if I wanted, he could balance the wheels. Since I drove 30 miles to get to the dealer and felt that there was a problem, I told him to balance the wheels. After he did, I test drove the vehicle and the vibration was gone. I was charged $85.00 for the balancing. They explained that the 10,000 mile service that I had done included rotation but not balancing. Balancing is included in the 15,000 mile and 30,000 mile service and every 15,000 service thereafter. Considering that they resurfaced the brake rotors at no charge at the 10,000 mile service, something that I felt might NOT have been covered by the warranty, I didn't put up a fuss about the $85.00 charge. But if I had waited 4 months, it would have been done at no charge as part of the 15,000 mile service. However, this Lexus dealer's service dept. is FAR nicer to deal with than my selling dealer. No, it's not Infiniti who would have balanced the wheels at no charge w/o question, but overall, I've found Lexus service to be inferior to Infiniti's service.

Bob

Reply to
Bob Grabowski