Subaru Extended warranties?

Thoughts on extended warranties for a 2001 subaru legacy L wagon w. automatic. I'm getting it at almost the end of its 36/60000km, so I'm considering getting a Subaru 84/140000km bumper to bumper extention on it as I'm not very familiar with the cars quirks yet. Vehicle will get low mileage, 10 to 20k km/year and will be primary vehicle. For maintenance I'm fairly garage dependent as I lack the facilities to do much work, plus my skill set is now about 20 years out of date. Have heard that the transmission and ignition can be problematic, and combined with Canadian winters, AWD and a power group it makes me a bit nervous. Assuming the cars not a lemon, I'd probably keep it a long time (8 to 15 years).

TIA F. Plant

Reply to
F. Plant

Why do posters insist on asking a question and then leave off the most important aspect to their question? HOW MUCH DOES THE EXTENTED WARRANTY COST. The warranties cost enough to cover all the repairs and make a profit. Why not put the profit in your pocket? I don't know what your car will be like, but over a long period a person generally saves money by not paying for his repairs ahead of time in the form of insurance.

Reply to
WasteNotWantNot

Thanks for the reply. Price wise can't really say for sure, but for example the first price quoted for a 84month/140k km $0 ded was $3500 CDN. If I thought enough components were covered to maybe make it worth while, I'd send it out for bid at a dozen dealers and get the lowest ones to underbid each other before even going in the door. Don't have a clue what the final price would be, except not $3500. Hopefully I would be able to keep a lot of their profit margin in my pocket.

I did just get a copy of a contract and am now checking thru it for the exenpted items and weasel clauses. So far there are a few things at odds with the promotional literature, and a lot of weasel clauses. From what I can tell, among other things, cv boots, struts, emission system, corrosion damage to non body parts (ie gas tank; brake calipers, lines and cables), and overheating, are not covered. On top of that their definition of breakdown is that the part has to be unable to function in normal service, which seems pretty extreme, so that eliminates a lot more stuff. I may go by my local subaru dealer and have a chat with the service manager to find where they stand in writing on the issues I highlight.

F. Plant

Reply to
F. Plant

So it's something less than $3,500. It would be no decision for me. My plan is to find the most reliable vehicle and place my bet that it will not kill me with repairs. With the warranty you are betting against yourself. You put your money in someone else's pocket from the start. Don't worry, you are not going to cut into the dealer's profit by shopping around. You could buy a used car for the price of the warranty. Who knows what will happen? Over the long term you will be ahead going bare.

Reply to
WasteNotWantNot