Oil Leak After Hit at Bottom

My car's bottom was hit, when I parked my car. Since then, the civic has a oil leak, not so big, about 1 teaspoon per 5 minutes. After 1 week, the oil level changed from the high limit mark to the low limit mark. I don't want to add oil every week, and want to fix it. It is a 2000 Honda Civic EX Auto transmission.

I went to the oil change shop and they gave me bullshit, and told me that was just the oil left outside of the engine after oil change. It has been 6 weeks after my oil change. After I cleaned the oil under the bottom, it came back again in few hours, and it is clean oil, not dirty oil. I could not see where the leak starts, because I just just put my head under the car.

How much will it cost me? What is the cheapest way to fix. Can I fix myself? Will shops give me a FREE estimate without charging me for telling me what is wrong with it?

Reply to
Chinadian

Trace the path of the oil by dust/dirt buildup. The higher, the more expensive. This is your diagnostic which normally runs $80-$100 flat fee. Remember you're looking for a hairline fracture, possibly on the oil pan. An invisiblility I can spot in minutes, impossible as you age.

The oil pan you can do yourself. A Chilton/Haynes manual shows you simple torque sequence.

hondaautomotiveparts.com sells parts. Helm.com sells exeptional liturature. I'm not affiliated to both.

-

Reply to
Koji San

It sure sounds like you put a small hole or groove in your oil pan. You have to crawl down there and look to find the source, which should not be too difficult. To fix it I would drain the oil pan, clean the surface with brake cleaner or acetone very well, and patch with JB-Weld.

Reply to
WasteNotWantNot

First step is go buy yourself some car ramps. Alternative - a floor jack and two jack stands, which you will need anyway if you have to change the pan.

Changing the oil pan is pretty low-tech and is done with simple hand tools. Your exhaust pipe may run under the pan on that Honda. If so, you will need to disconnect the pipe from the manifold and let it drop so the pan can come off. Nothing too hard there either. You will need an oil pan, oil pan gasket set, and a manifold-to-exhaust pipe gasket, and 4 more quarts of whatever brand oil the shop put it, unless you can catch the oil in a clean pan and re-use it. Tools, parts and all, you should be able to do this for under $100(not sure what the pan will cost). To have it done at a shop would likely run $200-$300 Rex in Fort Worth

Reply to
Rex B

Reply to
JR Lomas

My local U-pull-it junk yard sells oil pans for $10.00

After you have verified that it is your oil pan, just go to a similiar such place near you and get one. I see no reason why you would want a new one, espically if it's cast (and presumably less prone to damage and warpage than a stamped one).

Reply to
Childfree Scott

mark.

If indeed it needs a new sump due to impact damage, then this will be covered by your car accident insurance should you feel like claiming.

Huw

Reply to
Huw

Thank you all who replied my message. I am not really a car man. I have not even change oil once myself. What you said here is pretty hard for me to do. (I can hardly go under the car, how could I even get the pan out?)I thought I could stop the leak by finding the hole and put something on the hole to cover it.

I am poor. I wonder if I can just leave it along and add oil when it is low. Will it harm the car/engine, because the leak will also suck dirts into the engine? I want to sell the car in within 1-2 years. It has 60k miles on it. It is a Honda Civic EX 2000.

My living area is very cold in winter. Will the oil leak affect anything in winter driving?

Reply to
Chinadian

If this has one of those plastic pans and it's cracked then I'd rather change the pan also. I think that might be more than the poster is up for. The quick, cheap fix might be more to his liking. And it's safe because he can't get in any trouble.

Reply to
WasteNotWantNot

Approximately 9/8/03 22:22, Chinadian uttered for posterity:

Hopefully you just put a major ding in your oil pan, fairly cheap by itself, the extra $$$ comes from needing to pull the engine up to get at it...which may not be necessary. Stay away from oil change shops for this type of repair. Actually staying away from most oil change shops is a good idea since they tend to hire folks not quite able to avoid putting filters on too tight, too loose, wrong filter, drain plug too tight [new oil pan] and few of them will take any responsibility for screwing up your car.

Go to a dealer or a japanese auto shop and ask them to take a look at it for you.... mainly because it could get worse and get expensive in a hurry...as in new engine.

Reply to
Lon Stowell

|On Tue, 09 Sep 2003 11:02:54 -0700, Chinadian wrote: | |> Thank you all who replied my message. I am not really a car man. I |> have not even change oil once myself. What you said here is pretty |> hard for me to do. (I can hardly go under the car, how could I even |> get the pan out?)I thought I could stop the leak by finding the hole |> and put something on the hole to cover it.

that is possible, although you would almost certainly have to drain the oil first. Otherwise, the oil would be trying to seep out while you were trying to apply the patch, and it would not stick. |> I am poor. I wonder if I can just leave it along and add oil when it |> is low. Will it harm the car/engine, because the leak will also suck |> dirts into the engine? I want to sell the car in within 1-2 years. It |> has 60k miles on it. It is a Honda Civic EX 2000.

As long as you can keep the oil from getting too low it should be fine and will not harm the engine. It will not suck dirt into the engine. You likely have a small crack in the oil pan, probably near the drain plug. |> My living area is very cold in winter. Will the oil leak affect |> anything in winter driving?

No problem. If anything it may slow down the leak a little bit. Rex in Fort Worth

Reply to
Rex B

My father kicked up a piece of sheetmetal and put a small hole in his gas tank. He patched it with a boat epoxy named "Marine Tex". The tank held for years and never leaked.

I'd suggest finding the leak, marking the hole, draining the oil pan and cleaning the area with gasoline or acetone. Then using Marine Tex to patch the leak (and replacing the oil of course). It'd cost about

7 dollars to repair using this method.

The epoxy can be found at most boat stores

b.

Reply to
<barry