the mystery deepens....

Car: 1986 mazda 626, 2.0L Problem, when starting the battery will drain as if there is a much larger than normal current drain. Starter doesn't even budge. Charge up battery and it will start normally until the problem reoccurs.

Battery: passes test at auto parts store, takes charge well. Alternator: passes on vehicle test putting out well over the minimum current, passed test at auto parts store. Starter, have just removed from the car, it passes every test, cept for questionable results on one.

Testing for continuity between the connector that gets the high current from the solinoid switch and the case, (starter disassembled, to see if the field coils are grounded) I get resistances of about 10Mohms on average. I dunno if this acceptable or not. I suppose that with the not-quite dead conditions I am dealing with the problem will be something that only shows up at high current. I haven't found anything shorted yet.

I know one of the three here have to be broke, unless it's just a battery cable. I'd like to find it before driving the car anywhere and ending up stranded.... At this point I'm tempted to put it all back together and run it until something breaks good... just affraid of a battery explosion.

Reply to
Brent P

Very typical of a worn starter. The starter test benches at auto parts places often cannot detect these kinds of intermittents unless the person sits there continually testing over and over.

Next time it happens take a hammer and give the starter a good crack and see if the vibration knocks it loose. If so, you might get away with just replacing the brushes in the starter, available at any alternator repair shop.

Ted

Reply to
Ted Mittelstaedt

The bushings should also be replaced. Worn bushings can cause starter 'drag' which gives the same sort of symptoms.

Reply to
Larry Smith

--

------------------------------------------------------------------------------ William R Watt National Capital FreeNet Ottawa's free community network homepage:

William R. Watt

Since it drains the battery when it occurs, I'm not driving the car until I am sure I've got the problem. If the battery still had enough power to start the car after it happened it would be easy enough to just give it a wack.

The bushings seem ok and I can't make the armature hit the field pads, but there appear to be some light drag-type marks on the field pads. As I researched this, the problem I suspect requires puting the armature on a growler to detect. The brushes look good and there no obvious shorts.

The idea of a salavage yard starter doesn't sit well with me unless I am using it for parts. But I really don't want to go from yard to yard hunting for a mazda 2.0. (it doesn't share the starter with 2.2, as I have one of those laying around) It's not worth the trouble as I am taking no greater risk with an autozone starter which is cheap enough to make up for the time I'd save. (that is if I don't find a better reman easily available)

Reply to
Brent P

me too. I let my fingers do the walking through the Yellow Pages. I sometimes cal 15-20 wreckers to get three quotes on a part for my '89 Festiva. If a new or rebuilt part costs teh same I'd to that too. Mostly I can't see putting new parts on an old car.

PS I have a copy of Chilton's import car manual for 1983-1990. Weighs a ton. Has exploded view diagrams of both Mazda sarters.

--

------------------------------------------------------------------------------ William R Watt National Capital FreeNet Ottawa's free community network homepage:

William R. Watt

I would be saving little unless I found one in the U-pull which takes me even more time and effort. I have no trouble spending $60 on this car given that I know the engine is healthy and even if it up a died after I fixed it, I'm still way ahead. I just don't want to replace anything more than what I have to and it's bugging me that I can't find something to point at and say that's what it is for sure.

I really should buy a better winter car, but I know this one so well and if I got a better car then I'd want to take really good care of it which would defeat the purpose I bought for ;)

Thanks, I've got the real shop manual :)

Reply to
Brent P

NO! FOR GOD'S SAKE, NEVER NEVER DO THIS! Many (MOST?) starters nowadays use high strength ceramic magnets. If you strike the starter with a hammer, you will crack/destroy the magnets, and the starter will be toast! And, they are EXPENSIVE! Peope who fix caqrs by bashing them with hammers are barabrian savages, not mechanics! If you spot one, get away from there as fast as you can!

Reply to
lemstraf