97 VW Jetta GL sometimes wont start in hot weather

97 VW Jetta GL sometimes wont start in hot weather, meaning the starter does not crank at all, when the starter does crank the car starts right up, however it will start in cold weather. Unsure how to troubleshoot if it?s the starter, solenoid, relay, or ignition that?s causing the problem. Any insight would help.
Reply to
gmuchin

It might be the battery.

You will need to use a remote starter on the starter itself to see if the starter will function. Also test the starter energizer wire to make sure it gives enough power to the starter solenoid.

Then you have an alarm system that may be malfunctioning.

I am currently handling a problem with a 91 Passat 16V engine with auto trans. The starter does not function due to, I believe, the Transmission Control Module. I hope that this is not your case. :-)

Good luck later, dave Reminder........ Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you criticize them, you are a mile away from them, and you have their shoes. Frieda Norris

Reply to
dave

Agreed. When the engine is hotter, it takes more amps to crank the starter and a weak battery might not be up to the task. My GTI used to do this...starter whirred just fine when cold but after driving it a bit and the engine was hot and I parked it, if i tried to start it w/o it cooling off much the starter would barely turn.

Reply to
Matt B.

Does it not start in warm weather when the *engine* is cold? Or only after driving it dosen't start back up? Some of these cars have a problem with the exaust heating the starter (the automatic Cabriolets have a heat sheild between the header & starter). You can check the relay by bypassing it using a remote starter button tool. The starter not cranking *at all* dosen't sound like the battery to me. If it cranks slowly when hot it could be the battery.

~ Paul aka "Tha Driver"

ThaDriver

Isn't the 97 Jetta 2.0 automatic starters near the radiator and battery like the manuals? I do forget so much lately! later, dave Reminder........ Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you criticize them, you are a mile away from them, and you have their shoes. Frieda Norris

Reply to
dave

Correct, VW moved the starter away from the exhaust system. It may be a starter issue but 99% of the issues I have seen are ignition switch related.

Reply to
Woodchuck

Thanks guys, after further testing by myself I suspected the ignition switch, brought it into the dealer and it was, all fixed now.

Reply to
gmuchin