Tools: what drive sizes to get?

Hello, I have a newbie question. What drive sizes should one get for working on automobiles? I see that the three most popular are 1/4,

3/8 and 1/2. Why are there three different sizes? Is there a functional difference between them?

When putting together a tool set for working on cars, do you buy sockets for each size drive or use converter bits? Is it safe to use smaller sockets with larger drives (using converter bits)?

Thankyou

Reply to
John Cunningham

If money is an issue, buy a good quality 3/8 inch ratchet and socket drive set. Usually you can buy on sale for around 25 to 30 bucks. You could get the chepos for $10 but the sockets are apt to round out your bolt head. For removing larger bolts you could buy an adaptor that lets you use 1/2 inch sockets. If you buy a 3/8 inch set you will get a 1/4 inch socket driver for smaller sizes. You must decide whether to get a SAE or Metric sizes or a combo (50/50)

Reply to
Rajsircar

Rule of thumb 1: Thick metal is stronger than thin metal. Rule of thumb 2: Thick metal is heavier than thin metal.

1/4" is useful for working on tiny dashboard parts or electronics. 3/8" is my tool of choice for nearly everything. 1/2" is for wheels and headbolts. DON'T use small drive sockets with large drives - the sockets will break. You can use large drive sockets with small drives though.
Reply to
Pyats

Not unless you buy it from some kid who stole it from someone else. QUALITY tools aren't cheap, 25 to 30 bucks hardly buys junk. Bob

Reply to
Bob

$24.88 currently buys a Craftsman set with 3/8" ratchet, 9mm-18mm and

1/4"-3/4" sockets, and a couple of miscellaneous tools (hex keys, etc.).
Reply to
Matthew Hunt

Like I said, 25 to 30 bucks hardly buys junk..... Bob

Reply to
Bob

Craftsman hand tools are completely satisfactory for the casual mechanic. I've used mine for several automotive repairs, and have no need for better tools. They're not "junk" just because there are better tools on the market, no matter what snobs like you write on Usenet.

Reply to
Matthew Hunt

Wal-Mart (yeah save your contempt) has an AC Delco set for $60... it is huge, I am not sure how many pices but plenty for the average job. Correct me if I'm wrong but I believe AC Delco is a good brand.

- JR

aboutnews: snipped-for-privacy@corp.supernews.com...

Reply to
JR Lomas

Indian Summer

Start with the 3/8 free replacement Craftsman. $16 a pop, they last forever.

Tight spots = 3/8. Tight bolts = 1/2.

Use lifetime warranty converter bits.

Yes. Just know when to stop when it's way too tight.

Reply to
Indian Summer

Like others have said, 3/8's is used the majority of the time. There are some places that need the clearance of a 1/4" drive and other times you have to use a 1/2" drive because the nut or bolt is so big that they only make the socket that big in 1/2" drive. I haven't used a converter bit in about

8 years. Just buy a ratchet for that size. I suggest you go to a pawn shop. I bought about $2000 in tools in a rollaway for $250. Many have Craftsman sets for sale too. Be careful though, sometimes they price the sets more than Craftsman sale prices.

For me on my 89 Firebird, I use almost all metric sized 3/8" drive sockets under the hood. Of course there are a few specialty sockets. Torx in particular. Interior bolts are almost all 1/4" drive metric. I use 1/2" drive on the lugs and just recently had to use it on the pinion nut. SAE.

Good luck,

-Bruce

Reply to
Bruce Chang

Huh? The Craftsman website indicates no change to their "guaranteed forever" warranty. Items like ratchets still say "guaranteed forever" on the website. What tool were you trying to return? Maybe it was not a "guaranteed forever" tool, like a torque wrench or a cutting tool?

Discontinuing the policy would be a colossally stupid move on their part.

Reply to
Matthew Hunt

Craftsman no longer provides free replacement for items under $150. I tried last month at a Sears Hardware and they refused.

Reply to
dstvns

It depends on what kind of work you plan on doing and what kind of vehicles you plan to work on. For general under hood work I find that

3/8" is the "sweet spot", for interior work it's 1/4" and for drivetrain/frame/chassis it's 1/2".

Adapters are often not practical in tight spots.

A good starter set should include a 1/4", 3/8" and 1/2" drive set with a vaiety of wobble extensions. You'll need std and deep sockets for each drive size. Get them in both SAE and metric. You should also get a set of Torx sockets since they're increasingly common.

SK's a good brand as is Snap On, MAC, Matco, Proto.

Reply to
davefr

I agree with looking in pawn shops for tools. Most of my sockets are Craftsman and Proto, like new, 6 pt, 12 pt, impact, deep, shallow, etc. - ALL gotten for $1.00 each. But you have to go where tools are used, stolen, and pawned.

Reply to
PauL

That's practically EVERY item they sell and the items that are more than $150 aren't warranteed already.

If you were trying to get a free replacement for a non-craftsman item, obviously the craftsman warranty does not apply. Just because you bought it at sears in the tool department doesn't mean it's Craftsman.

-Bruce

Reply to
Bruce Chang

Indian Summer.

3/8, 1/4 are very useful in both areas- IMO. Various alternators nuts, solenoids nuts, hose clamps are great with 1/4. 3/8 are great on car seats, steering etc.

A well design car might not need this. (e.g., Honda) Regrettably, there is a typo on my first statement; Tight spots = 1/4 or 3/8 w/ extensions, not Tight spots = 3/8.

Reply to
Indian Summer

Then they lied to you.

I walked in to Sears with a broken Craftsman 3/8 socket drive last week, handed it to the cashier and said "I need a new one." He dropped my old one in a bin, pulled a new one out, scanned a bar code, handed me a zero-cost reciept, and I walked out with the new one.

Reply to
Steve

IMO, any good basic set should include 1/4, 3/8, and 1/2 drives. Out of those, you will use the 3/8 drive about 2 times as much as the others, and will use the 1/4" drive the least of all. for most automotive work.

Not to argue whether Hondas are "well designed" or not, but they are a classic example of packaging the drivetrain in so tightly that wobbles and U-joints are an ABSOLUTE necessity. Most modern front-drive cars are similar (Chrysler LH cars tend to be an exception with the roomy engine bay and longitudinal engine mounting). In contrast, you can dismantle an entire 60s or 70s American car without owning a wobble or U-joint.

Reply to
Steve

When I first started, I got a 3/8 set, because I was told it was the most versatile.

After struggling for a few years, I bought a 1/2 set. The leverage is much better. I almost never use the 3/8 set any more.

Eventually, I got a 1/4 set for the tiny sockets I occasionally need.

Reply to
kgold

You need them all !!!

Basically 3/8 for under hood project 1/2 for the undercarriage 1/4 for dashboard and trim

You can manage with a 3/8 set for most of the job,its the happy medium. 1/2 drive is somewhat bulky, & heavier, the ratchet needs a little more room to move& and there is always the danger to overtorque some small bolt with an

1/2 set, doesn't give the same feeling.

Oh well to each is own ....

Reply to
Rick