Converting NV4500 to NV5600

How about a dicussion about converting a 2500 QC, 360, NV4500 manual over to a 6 speed NV5600. I've heard the driveshaft lengths are different, and the flywheel. I'm considering going this route since I'll be adding the ProCharger and a few other items in the not too distant future. So, let the knowledge roll....

Reply to
Carolina Watercraft Works

I don't know why you would want to do this. The NV5600 is big, heavy, low geared and slow shifting. Unless you have 600+ ft lbs at 1800 rpm, it will add no value. Steve

Reply to
Steve Lusardi

the swap information link on this page.

Reply to
Nosey

Closer gear ratio basically. That and the 5600 is stronger than the 4500. The 4500 weighs almost the same as the 5600...only difference being thicker shafts, extra gears and such. They are housed in the same casing and use the same bell housing so it's not as big of a deal as you may think. Neither of these trannies are fast shifters. Only difference is the 5600 is a six speed whereas the 4500 is a 5 speed. So...it will indeed add value when coupled to the supercharger and other items I'll be installing.

Reply to
Carolina Watercraft Works

John Kunkel

I coulda sworn the 4500 was an aluminum case, and the 5600 was cast-iron... ??

How? By adding an additional gear between low and 1:1, that you'll probably just skip over anyway? I agree here - I don't see the benefits at all... you're not going to put out enough power from a 360 to break the NV4500... those trannies ran just fine behind some pretty beefed-up Cummins engines, putting out way more torque than you could ever hope to muster with the 360, and the only real problem was with the 5th gear nut backing off, due to high torque at low RPMs vibrating the nut loose - another problem you won't have with a 360.

Reply to
Tom Lawrence

No, the 4500 is cast iron as well. I won't be skipping gears all the time. Believe it or not, there comes a time when some, like myself can benefit from the additional gearing...like maybe plowing snow. It's a big jump from 1st to 2nd on the 4500. Also, the larger clutch will benefit on the plowing and with heavy loads.

I actually started this to see what sort of "input" people had as to being able to make it happen....not as a request for nay-sayers to shoot it down because "they" don't think it's worth it.

That being said, please lets limit the input to positive only on this thread and if you want to post negatives...start a different thread as a courtesy to me and others that may be interested in possibly doing the same conversion. TIA.

Reply to
Carolina Watercraft Works

A question if I may. Why do you feel the change will be benificial for snow plowing?

Roy

Reply to
Roy

Closer gearing between 1st and 2nd is the biggest reason. Also, I feel the clutch on the 5600 (13") will be better suited and will give me more miles. I also will be starting to pull some pretty heavy loads as well.

Reply to
Carolina Watercraft Works

I have both. A 92 W250 and an 04 2500. Both are 4X4's. The NV4500 shifts much easier than the 5600. Driving the 04 empty is a chore with the six speed. The ratio splits are much better suited to pulling a heavy load. Can't imagine how slow it would shift if the engine was capable of pulling

5,000 RPM. It's the 3-4 shift that's wide with the 4500. IMHO, they would be well off coming up with a decent automatic.

In the 04 I find myself wanting to use 2, 4, and 6th. The owner's manual says not to skip gears. Is this because they think we'll torture the synchros? Or, is there another reason? Ironically, I never feel the need to skip shift the 92. I view it as a HD three speed with overdrive and granny low.

Al

Reply to
Big Al

Hhmm...maybe I need to find a 6 speed here and take it for a spin.

Reply to
Carolina Watercraft Works

I don't know about your 4500, but my 4500 is smooth, its slick and aluminum. It successfully worked against some significant loads on my 360 powered 1500 for years. My only complaint was the 3 - 4 backlash, but it worked flawlessly. On my '04 3500 Cummins dually, my 5600 is hard work. It is MUCH bigger and MUCH heavier. The pilot shaft is 1.250 in diameter. The 4500 pilot shaft is .750. You will never, blower or otherwise, ever create the low rpm torque the 5600 is designed to handle, with the 360. In full NASCAR trim you might see 600 ft lbs at 6200 rpm. A .750 pilot shaft will handle that just fine. I am not being negative. I am giving you damn good advice and I might add, for free. Now for the clutch, that's a different story. The

360 clutch is weak and needs help, but then again so does the 13 on the Cummins. I can easy smoke both of them with just a little abuse. However, if you are gentle and let them both hook up before applying power, you can get by for thousands of miles. Steve
Reply to
Steve Lusardi

What year is the truck your 4500 is in?

Reply to
Carolina Watercraft Works

Hey! I thought nay-sayers weren't allowed here anymore... now you're actually CONSIDERING taking a contrary opinion??

I'm declaring shenanigans...

Reply to
Tom Lawrence

Did you swap that in? I thought the 1500's only came with a NV3500, and then only with the 5.2L. The 5.9L only came with an auto in the 1500's...

Settle down with the 'for free', "Brent"... no one's holding a gun to your head here - you post because you want to, no other reason.

A clutch upgrade is certainly warranted if he's going to be putting higher HP through it... I ran a Centerforce DF on my 2500 with an NV4500 putting out about 350HP, 500lb.ft., and 38" tires. It's still holding up fine for the current owner. Like you said, I smoked the stock clutch in about 5,000 miles :)

Reply to
Tom Lawrence

No I'm not. And he was stating his experience with his 5600 which I find beneficial. Personally, I don't recall the 5600 trannied Ram I drove to be any more difficult but maybe I need to take one for another spin. I was obviously not turned off by the 5600 or I wouldn't be considering doing this.

Reply to
Carolina Watercraft Works

I am interested in the thread for my own project.

So, for comparisons sake a 5600 weighs 360lbs and a 4500 weights 250lbs wet.

4500 input TQ rating 460ft-lbs on a 1 1/4" 10 spline shaft. 5600 input TQ rating 550ft-lbs on a 1 3/8" 10 spline shaft.

Then how can anyone say they're basically the same gearbox other then the extra gear? When that's obviously not the case.

Reply to
Demon

With regards to the casing they are the same. If you follow the thread down from the beginning, you'll see the differences stated.

Reply to
Carolina Watercraft Works

I did read the whole thread, I don't know what to say other than that is not correct. The cases are not at all the same. The 4500 is a top loader transmission & the 5600 is a rear loader. The only similarity there is that they're both cast iron. So my question still stands.

Reply to
Demon

And by "Rearloader" I meant "Endloader" gearbox.

Reply to
Demon