Torque Converter Lockup Clutch Failing

Hi everyone,

I have a 1996 Ford Escort LX with 213k miles on it. It has the F4EAT automatic transmission with overdrive. Over the past few months, I've noticed what appears to be my torque converter lockup clutch locking and unlocking at random, most noticeable at highway speeds (>50 mph). It seems to do it at slower speeds as well, as long as it's in overdrive, although the jump in RPM is less noticeable.

Due to the age and mileage on the car, I don't intend to fix/replace the torque converter and it's clutch. However, I wanted to know if there was a way to disable the lockup clutch, and if doing so could be dangerous to the transmission (ie. overheating due to extra slippage of the converter). If I can't disable it, is there any harm in having it locking/unlocking repeatedly? Also, I had been planning to take a vacation this Spring, which is on the order of 2,000 mi highway driving. Would you advise against taking the car such a long distance like that, or is the lockup issue no more than an annoyance?

And before anyone asks.. yes the fluid has been changed regularly and is at the correct level.

Thanks.

Reply to
dharrington89

I think their might be a lockout solenoid on the tranny. Look for a plug going to the tranny and unplug it and see if it's better or not.

Reply to
m6onz5a

Here is the plug diagram: Pin 7

213k miles... Personally I would not take that car more than 7 miles from home. I would rent a new car instead. That is your choice. Take along enough cash and credit cards to pay for a new engine and trans just in case. Around $5000. Repeated movement of anything is hard on the parts. Clutch plates especially. The trans will run hotter. Don't go over 50 mph.

Reply to
Paul

Before you decide not to fix it perhaps you should take it to an honest transmission shop and get their opinion on what's wrong with it and the cost. maybe it's just a bad switch or solenoid. The brake light switch on my explorer went bad and the transmission lost un-lockup. Cost $10 for a new switch.

Reply to
Ashton Crusher

Actually I think the most practical thing to do would be to just junk it and pick up the nearest clunker under $1000 to get me back home. But yea, as for that pin diagram - it says 1997 up on both pinouts. I know there is a connector on top of the tranny, but is that diagram the same with mine being a 96?

Thanks.

Reply to
dharrington89

7
>> 213k miles... Personally I would not take that car more than 7 miles fromhome.

I don't know the answer to your question, however I would suspect the trans' are the same if the plug is the same.

Paul