What broke torque converter?

In my earlier post I was having a knocking or ticking noise in the torque converter of my 700R4. Well, I removed the torque converter from the transmission and found that the neck of the torque converter was broke. When I say neck I am referring to where the input shaft from the transmission slides into the converter. It has 2 notches in it and half of it is broke off. I recovered the broken piece and there does not appear to be any marks or rubbing that may have caused the break. The transmission was working fine, it just had a knock in it. The transmission is in a stock truck that is never run hard. Any ideas of why the neck broke?

Wayne

Reply to
Jason S

you are the luckiest person on earth

I'm surprised it didn't trash the pump

as to 'why?'............no idea

Reply to
TranSurgeon

I was thinking something similar...mine was more like...Wow...I've never heard of anyone catching it at that point. I would probably toss the pump anyhow.

Big Chris

Reply to
Big Chris

Im have a problem with the torque converter in my transmission. It is a

4L80E. The converter make a squeeking noise, like bad bearing in a heater fan motor, within 3 seconds after shutting down the engine. We took the dust cover off, unbolted the converter, slid converter back and started engine. The noise disappeared.

As far as your problem, how long had the trans and converter been installed? Could it possibly have not been slid all the way in when it was installed? Just a thought? that really is a odd happening..take care..robie

Reply to
Robie

I has about 30,000 miles on the transmission since it was installed. I have a lot of people at the transmission shops around here scratching their heads on this one.

Wayne

Reply to
Jason S