Transmission Problems

I own a 1990 Ford Ranger and have started having problems with my transmission. I also want to preface this explination by saying I know very little about the interworkings of an automobile, so if I sound like an idiot explaining this, don't laugh. ;-)

The symptoms are fairly simple, when I shift into 3rd gear, it grinds. Now, it only happens when shifting into 3rd gear, and usually only when I am downshifting, like when getting ready to climb a hill. Then, after running for a while, it starts grinding any time I shift into 3rd. Anytime I hit the freeway for more than 5 minutes, once I get off, it grinds in 3rd anytime I try to shift into it, until I park it and let it set for about 4 hours. Then it will go back to only grinding when downshifting into 3rd, unless I run it for longer than say 30 minutes, or if I hit higher speeds (65-70mph), like on the freeway.

Now, I have been doing a little studying on how a manual transmission works and I understand that the grinding is from the collar's dog teeth grinding against the dog teeth on the gear, which makes me think that something isn't getting synchronized so that the collor can engage the gear smoothly. But I don't know why this would only happen in 3rd gear. Again, I know next to nothing about this stuff, so I could be more than way off, but does anyone out there that's more of a gear head than I have any ideas on what could be causing this?

Thanks for any help, Matt

Reply to
Matt

I would first check the clutch adjustments, as the clutch may not be disengaging adequately when you press the pedal.

I am into motor mechanics only through financial necessity - it's not my job, so take my advice with a pinch of salt.

Henry

Reply to
Henry Mydlarz

The synchro on the third gear is dying or dead rather. Why is this happen only in third? Well, if you observe your shifting patterns you will realize you probably shift outta sync in third more than any other gear. Continuous wear from having to synchronize your shifting is the cause. Not that you are a bad driver for doing this, just that transmissions do wear off after a while. My roommate has a Ford Ranger with the same exact problem, I suppose the transmission was poorly design (as most any Ford product). He now revs the engine high on second and shift directly to fourth. Of course, this problem is a great nuisance. A way to maximize the life of your transmission is to double clutch... which basically means shift into neutral and then rev the engine to the "right" RPM for the current speed before shifting. It takes practice (I myself can't do it), but if you can the synchros in your transmission should outlast the lifespan of your car. If you get REALLY good at it, you won't even have to use the clutch. If you downshift to go up a hill into third, what you will have to do if is pop it into neutral holding the clutch down and rev the engine 1200RPM (or something like that I don't know the exact gear ratio) higher than in fourth gear and then pop it into third and engage the clutch, you will notice how much less grinding you get outta of it. This bad transmission, indeed, could teach you a lot about proper shifting and make you master the technique. Of course, you may not be interested in learning, in which case changing the transmission is the only thing (short of a tranny rebuild) that will solve your problem. I hope this answers your question.

- JR

"Matt" wrote in message news:c0ujnl$1bv45j$ snipped-for-privacy@ID-127463.news.uni-berlin.de...

Reply to
JR Lomas