Transmission slips, SES light on. Please help.

Got in my 1997 T & C van last night. The transmission slips enough tha

the car just makes 35 MPH and the "service engine soon" light came on steady. I'm not a mechanic but am pretty mechanical. Can someone hel me with this problem. Hopefully, it some sort of sensor or a cracke vacuum line? The car is in the driveway and I need to get to work o Monday. Thanks

-- nprwashman

Reply to
nprwashman

Trans fluid ok? Trans filter ok? Enough miles to have worn out clutch bands? Got the trouble code? Got a manual?

Once worked on a car where a trans cooler heat exchanged failed and mixed the coolant and trans fluid making a hell of a mess. Cleaned and flushed several times, replaced trans filter, etc. Trans would work ok for a minute or two and then slip. Stop, rest a minute and try again, same thing.

Finally put a pressure gauge on it and found after a minute or two it lost hydraulic pressure, hence the slipping. Pulled the pan yet again and looked and the filter was clean. Looked at the pan again and poked at it and found the paint had completely delaminated from the pan and was getting sucked up and blocking the filter intake. On resting it settled back down and looked fine. Removed paint, reinstalled pan, refilled fluid and it ran fine for years afterward.

Reply to
Pete C.

-- nprwashman

Reply to
nprwashman

If the fluid level is high my first though would be contamination like the case I noted. If the fluid does not seem to be contaminated I'm not sure what could account for an apparent high level. I'm not an auto trans expert, hopefully someone else can chip in.

It would be good to know what the trouble code is, places like Autozone will read the codes for free. I doubt it has anything to do with a vacuum line since an AT that new will be electronically controlled. Electrical connectors are always a big source of problems so it wouldn't hurt to check all connectors related to the trans.

Pete C.

Reply to
Pete C.

From what i have seen, an average Chrysler mini van trannie is good for about 30/40K before it self implodes in one method or another.

My buddy had been through 4 with two different vans. Rebuild time.

Bob

Bob

Reply to
Bob Urz