unnecessary maintenance recommended by dealer?

We have a 2005 Toyota Sienna. I've been taking it to the dealer we bought it from for its regular service. But it seems like every time I take it in for "just an oil change", they say it needs this thing or that thing, for $100 here and $150 there. For example, today I had it in for 41,000 mile service ($79). They recommended a transmission flush ($180), an EFI service (I don't remember what that one is, $140), an alignment ($90), and a cabin filter ($70). I told them to just do the oil change and I'd think about the rest of it. So, my questions are:

  1. Do I really need all that stuff? I'm quite skeptical.
  2. If I don't do these things, will it affect my warranty, either actually, or informally (i.e. they give me a hard time because I didn't follow their recommendations)?
  3. Should I trust this dealer?

Thanks,

Lee

Reply to
leebreisacher

I tend to think of a service as a time when the whole car is checked in case any parts may have worn and need replacing, in addition to the routine items like oil change and (less frequently) cambelt change. Unless you notice symptoms when you are driving the car, it is the only time that many "non-customer-serviceable" items will be checked.

So if you trust the judgement of the garage not to recommend unnecessary work (to boost their own profit) then I'd suggest that you ask them to do whatever work they recommend. If you don't trust their judgement, find another garage.

Reply to
Mortimer

Most dealers and private shops lie and sell unnecessary repairs all the time. Mechanics are about on par with used car salesmen as far as morals go.

I know of a Chevrolet dealer that told their shop manager he had to push and sell more unnecessary services and parts or lose his job. He was old and in a small town, and knew most of his regular customers. He refused and was fired.

Bottom line, most services pushed by dealers or shops are based on lies and dishonest mechanics or shops.

If you go to a quick change oil shop, dont buy anything they sell. They will tell you to replace your air filter even tho it was just replaced a month ago etc.

Don't buy any service without getting an opinion of a reputable trustworthy mechanic.

Reply to
Bailey B

I got hosed like this a couple of months ago when I told dealer to do

30,000 mile maintenance without asking what is was or cost and ended up with several items not on manufacturer's list. Next time I will look them up and have only listed items done at either dealer or shop that I trust. I do my own oil, air filter and cabin air filter.

Several years ago, I had a Nissan service manager actually lie to me about their recommended service. He had put dots in empty boxes doubling up recommended items and told me if I did not do them it would void warranty.

Reply to
Frank

I went to a quick oil change place. the guy announced that i needed a belt tensioner for over $100.00. he told me if it breaks then there will be a huge amount of damage under the hood and i needed it right away. Later I asked my own mechanic if he thought I got ripped off. He said probably. He didn't think the belt tensioner needed replacing and he didn't think it would cause a huge amount of damage under the hood if it failed. needless to say, the quick oil change has seen me for the last time.

Reply to
boxing

I have the owners manuals for most of my vehicles and they clearly outline the maintenance schedule and are 'very' specific about what needs to be changed to keep the warranty happy.

It even has a place for that idiot service manager to stamp and sign confirming what was done. When what is 'mandatory' to change is right there in black and white in front of him, it is hard for him to steal from you.

They call it 'selling up' the service and have the name $tealerships for a reason.

Mike

86/00 CJ7 Laredo, 33x9.5 BFG Muds, 'glass nose to tail > We have a 2005 Toyota Sienna. I've been taking it to the dealer we
Reply to
Mike Romain

where i live the toyota dealer is honest and the honda dealer is the one who up sells. if you know that ahead of time you buy a toyota.

Reply to
boxing

You are right to be skeptical...

Open the owners manual and find the severe duty service schedule.

Do what the manual says to do at the mileage the manual says to do it. As long as you have done what the manufacturer says to do you won't have any warranty issues.

If you have a specific problem then repair the problem but any suggested maintenance that isn't in that book doesn't get done on my cars. Service Writers are professional up-sellers and get people coming and going with this crap.

Steve B.

Reply to
Steve B.

180 for a flush???? You're a lucky sob ... Try that with an Infiniti and you're in for a real surprise $15.00/qt for trans fluid, when the Maxima uses the same stuff for $9.00/qt. I haven't been back there with my car, but I've seen reports on Forums that an Infiniti will cost upwards of $950 for a trans flush. the maxima....$550 Dealers are NOT your friend... Learn how to do this stuff yourself..
Reply to
BobJ

I bought a used explorer for my son a few years ago from the original owner. The previous owner had all the receipts for all his oil changes at Jiffy Lube. Every time he had the oil changed, which was about every 4000 miles, they sold him a new air filter and several PVC valves along the way. Thieves.

Reply to
Ashton Crusher