00279-1qt5w-01 synthetic?

I just had the local Toyota dealer do the 5k mile service on my prius last night. He said it uses synthetic oil, but I can't find online that

00279-1qt5w-01 is synthetic or not. Where can I look to conirm this? Rocky
Reply to
Rocky

Your owners manual should mention the oil specifications.

Reply to
user

I just did a search for 00279-1qt5w-01 on google. I found it for less than $3 per quart. I doubt at that price it is synthetic.

This chart suggests that the 00279-1qt5w-01 part number is for regular Genuine Toyota motor oil.

It may be that the part number is used for any Toyota 5W-30 motor oil or they used the wrong part number because they charge a fixed price for the synthetic service, and you did get synthetic.

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff

I checked the manual last night - no mention of synthetic. Why do they let these morons work at the service desk? He said I could not use the dealer's discount oil change coupon next time because it does not cover synthetic oil but the car does not use syn.

The service manager was supposed to call me yesterday but never did. If I give them a lower mark service postcard, what happens to them? I have the survey from the other Toyota dealer I bought the car from and I can't answer excellant >> I just had the local Toyota dealer do the 5k mile service on my prius

Reply to
Rocky

Most modern synthetic oils are excellent high tech lubricants that should meet or exceed the specs for most car engines. You can read the service rating on the container and compare it to your owners manual stated requirements and specs. I think you should be fine using one. The most important being following the recommended oil change interval. Synthetic oils usually cost more and that probably is the reason that they did not accept a coupon for that increase to their costs. You might want to contact Toyota USA (manufacturer) to get an exact answer. As far as the survey goes, write your conscience. You will feel better and perhaps eventually change a few things at the dealership. Ray O is far more qualified to answer this, since I believe he was the Toyota factory representative to many dealerships in a region. Watch for his post.

Reply to
user

Do you care? If they are mistreating you, let Toyota know.

And I wouldn't wait until you get a postcard. Go to

There is a way to provide feedback to Toyota costumer service. They are the ones who should know.

They are asking for honest feedback. Give it to them.

It can only help improve service.

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff

these morons work at the

next time because it does

At my dealer, I DO use the discount oil change coupon for synthetic, however they give me a credit for the value of non-synthetic oil that I am NOT using....about $2 a litre or so.

give them a lower mark

Toyota dealer I bought the

rudely by their service writer

night. He said it uses

not. Where can I look to

Reply to
sharx35

Make sure the engine oil is the proper viscosity, probably something like

5W-30, and the proper API service grade, which is API Service SM.

The number 00279-1qt5W-01 looks like a Toyota part number. My guess is that the dealership purchases oil in bulk but uses a Toyota part number to charge it out.

There are several different types of surveys. Many dealerships conoduct in-house surveys for every service visit. J.D. Powers is an independent survey company and surveys some owners, and Toyota sends surveys to new vehicle purchasers and customers who have had warranty repairs performed.

One low survey probaly won't do anything to the service personnel because the folks who conduct surveys are looking for trends more than individual results. A consciencous service department will follow up with people who give low scores to try to improve customer satisfaction.

Reply to
Ray O

Well, you're not the only person with bad experience at the Toyota service department. They seem to be the worst in town. Just follow the messages in this and other Toyota groups.

If Toyota designed the Prius with synthetics in mind, then the service interval would have been 12000-15000 miles. Actually dino oil CAN last up to 12000 miles in GM and Honda cars with oil sensors.

That said, in 2004 Toyota reduced the oil service interval from 7500 miles down to 5000 because of sludge concerns with their engines. So that may be the reason the synthetics were introduced as some said it's the only way against sludge in these engines.

Now how do you know if the high school kid working the part time oil change job in the back didn't just looked at the oil chart on the wall and put dino oil in there? That's what I want to know.

Reply to
johngdole

I never have someone change my oil unless I can see them do it. You are absolutely correct to be concerned, regardless of whether it is a Toyota dealer.

Reply to
Mark A

I have a 2007 Corolla bought last fall. I usually wait for synthetic oil to come on sale at the local Canadian Tire store, and then I buy at least a couple of jugs at a time. When I get my oil changed at the Toyota dealer, I bring in my own oil and ask for a credit. I know that you can get your oil changed elsewhere a little cheaper, but my dealer is good at looking out for other potential problems while they do the oil change.

BTW, I'm getting some Amsoil MP metal protection spray today to undercoat my car myself. We'll see how that works out.

Reply to
homepc

You might be able to take an oil sample out and send it to be analyzed to see if it is regular oil or synthetic. Other than that, how do you really know what they did? You can't for sure.

I doubt that they have high school students doing the oil changes at most Toyota dealerships. However, if they do, the high school kid might be doing an excellent job.

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff

========

You can buy your own oil bottles from Walmart, O'Reilly, Autozone, etc., and ask the oil change technician or service rep. to return the empty bottles to you. Shucks, I even ask them to return my used oil filter ;-)

Last time at the dealership, I even tipped the oil tech guy, but the service rep. told me the techs never get tips [chuckle]

Reply to
Built_Well

When you undercoat the vehicle, make sure the underbody is pristine and dry, otherwise, the spray may trap dirt and moisture between the coating and underbody, accelerating rust. Also avoid getting anything on linkages, wiring, and exhaust.

Reply to
Ray O

========

If you're really concerned about that, you can get a used oil analysis (UOA) at Blackstone-Labs.com for $22.50 or from DysonAnalysis.com for $50.

Let us know what the results of the UOA are if you decide to get one :-)

Reply to
Built_Well

Thanks for the heads up. Actually I was going to pay attention to the underside of the rocker panel and the wheel wells. It seems that edge of metal under the rocker panel always gets rusty after a few years. Probably from chips and wear in the paint caused by debris getting kicked by the front wheels.

Another thing I found with my Corolla, is that the drain channel around the top of the trunk gets filled up with dirt way too easily. I have to park under a birchwood tree, and the channel is always filled with seeds and leaves from the tree. There is too much clearance between the trunk lid and the channel opening, so anything that lands on the car roof or back window, eventually winds up lodged under the truck lid. That looks like a place I will apply some spray too.

Reply to
homepc

I wouldn't spray the channel around the trunk opening because it may trap more debris. Your best bet is to just keep clearing the channel out.

Reply to
Ray O

Ray O wrote: > I wouldn't spray the channel around the trunk opening because it may trap

Two word suggestion: Car cover.

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff

========

Homepc, you'll want to be careful with car covers, because some of them can actually scratch your vehicle if you're not very careful using them.

Reply to
Built_Well

I was thinking of putting a rolled up piece of the light fiberglass window screen in the channel just below the rear window. That way, the debris wouldn't collect as much and just roll off the back of the car. The trick is to find some that is soft and pliable enough so no to wreck the paint every time you open and close the trunk lid.

Reply to
homepc