Unsure, need advice, know absolutely nothing about cars...

In April 02, I brought my 1996 Ford Taurus to station to have it serviced. The heater was blowing cold air and the turn signals wouldn't flash. The mechanic said I needed a tune up and the cooling system and transmission needed to be serviced. The car had a complete tune-up and hoses and gasket replaced. I paid $568.74 for the repairs, parts and labor. The car had 66,509 miles on the odometer.

In May, I was traveling on the Freeway, when I heard a bubbling noise from behind the dashboard. Water and steam exploded from the radiator and the car stalled. The mechanic had not tightened the hoses. It appeared that the cooling system was empty.

The car was towed and "repaired" and I was not charged. I did not receive an invoice.

However, the check engine light was still flashing. I called the station and was told it was nothing, but I could bring it in when I had the time. The mechanic gave no indication whatsoever that this could be a serious problem, so I had it repaired in August.

In December, my car stalled, lost all power and had to be towed to my home. I had the car looked at and was shown a hole in the block. I was informed that this would mean a new engine. From what I understand, the coolant system failure resulted in a warped head and blown head gasket which caused major damage to the block. There is coolant in my motor oil, there is no coolant or water in the radiator. The car has

71,112 miles on the odometer.

It has been approximately nine months and less than 5,000 miles since I had the initial "complete tune-up". I had to have a new engine installed for 4 thousand dollars.

Can it have been caused by the repair in April or rather can it take that long for an engine to blow or is it unrelated.

Reply to
chelsch

It could be related but on the other hand it IS a Taurus. The 3.0 and 3.8 tend to blow head gaskets (and engines) often. Do a google search.

Reply to
« Paul »

Yep, that would be my guess too. One addition would be that the mechanic blew the diagnosis when the coolant was lost. He saw loose clamps and jumped to an assumption, and corrected what he thought was a mistake. If were just loose clamps you should have noticed leaking coolant and higher temps long before the eruption. The eruption occured IMO when the headgasket first failed, it just got worse from there. Leaking hoses alone wouldn't cause that eruption, you'd slowly run out of coolant. I suppose the hose could come off via the pressure but I would expect that to happen right away if at all.

These engines are known for failed head gaskets and catastropic failure as a result. Had it been caught in may the engine might have been saved, maybe not. Now, it's kaput.

Reply to
Brent P

It is a shame that you didn't log in here for a little advice earlier.

Although one of the most competent and honest mechanics I ever knew worked out of a 'station', clearly he didn't do the work on your car.

You wanted your turn signals fixed and your heater to work, and ended up paying the better part of 600 bucks for a 'tuneup' you may not have needed at all, and appears wasn't done properly and professionally in the first place.

The Taurus, unfortunately, is known to be a piece of shit by many automobile buffs. The hose issue you had may have provoked the blown head gasket in this case, rather than a head gasket provoking the cooling system blowout. Hard to say for sure.

Who did you the favor of a new engine for $4000????????? Good grief...

The same abuse has happened to many others, chelsch, in many parts of the country. These lessons cost dearly.

Reply to
Larry Smith