What is the proper method to paint a mirror housing/cover?

Hi, I have a 2003 Buick Century, silver in color. I need to replace the complete passenger side mirror housing/cover. The standard "color" sold in stores and on the internet is black. They are made of a hard plastic. Does anyone know the proper paint techniques so I won't have to keep repainting? And, any recommended paints, primers, tools or other materials I will need?

Thanks...

Reply to
Jeff
1] scuff the plastic with a fine grit paper or some 00 steel wool.

2] Get any primer, chances are a grey primer best for your silver match. Krylon works fine.

3] Two coats of primer, allow each coat to dry before next coat. Then scuff the primer coats with very fine paper, use the wet-sanding technique.

4] Allow to dry, NOTE~~~~~~~mask off the glass and surrounding areas prior to doing any of this.

5] U need heat for the paint application to bond to the primer. Krylon plastic primer and paint, sold at all K-Marts and Wal-Mart's does a good job.

6] Apply the paint in several coats, do not try to cover in ONE coat!!!!!!!!! Allow each coat to dry before apllying next coat. Take your time, it does not happen instantly for a good DIY job.

7] Ensure you have some heat at each primer or paint application, either sunlight and some decent ambient temp. [at least 70 degrees or more], or use a hairdryer on low setting, and let each coat dry for say one hour.

The only hassle I can think of is getting the silver color to match the ride's color, that is first in the paint color, and then by your visual as you apply paint coats.

Reply to
Knifeblade_03

Knifeblade_03 wrote in news:Knifeblade snipped-for-privacy@no-mx.nodomain.com:

all the described steps sound fine.....for color coat i use my local sherwin williams store as they can put any color you want in a spray can. a simple enamel works just fine for color coded mirrors since they are always at an angle to the body panels and you cant tell their not a BC/CC job..............

Reply to
KjunRaven

yeah, an enamel most likely much better than a laquer. He could get the matching color spray paint OEM dealer, but that'll run a bit more $$, sigh.

I did forget to suggest apply a good clearcoat finish once it's all said and painted.

Reply to
Knifeblade_03

Being it is a 2003 I would HIGHLY recommend having a body shop do the painting, That way you don't have to worry about all the problems.

However if you want to DIY.

The catch to a DIY paint job is going to be matching the color and metallic type. I would go to a body supply store or another place that can do a custom mix. Or order a factory pack through a dealer. You MIGHT get lucky and find a Dupli Color match. You will need a primer a base color coat and a clear coat. Make sure that all of them are compatible types. Mixing materials can almost guarantee a failure unless you KNOW they work together.

As for prep. Wash the housing with a GOOD detergent, this will remove any dirt or a mold release agent if it is new. Now put on a pair of rubber gloves. Wipe it down with a wax and grease remover. Now use some 200 grit paper and a random orbit sander to sand the entire surface, pay attention to the edges and the interior as well. Now use a tack cloth to remove the sanding dust. Use some LIGHT GRAY primer and spray on three light coats, letting each coat tack up between coats. Let it dry and scuff the primer coat with some 320-400 grit. Now for the fun part. Hang the housing so it is in the same position as it would be when installed on the car. Use a tack rag and dust it clean.

Read the directions on the paint regarding color/clear topcoat time. Some you can clear as soon as they flash off the solvents and some you need to wait an hour or more.

Now spray on two - three LIGHT coats of color, ANY runs, dirt or bug crap and you get to start over by sanding back to the primer. If you are using a Base/Clear system the color coat may not (usually is not) be glossy. Once you get the color on without a problem DO NOT TOUCH THE HOUSING.

Wait the proper time and spray on 3-4 coats of clear with time enough between coats for it to flash the solvents away (read the instructions about flash time).

Reply to
Steve W.