What should we be paying for a new car these days?

With the economy as it is now I'd expect car prices to come down a fair chunk. I've been shopping around, and there are a couple of reasonable deals out there, but most cars are still overpriced. To make matters worse, options are VERY overinflated!!! (e.g Chrysler says it's a $4500 option to go from cloth to leather seats in a Caravan.)

What kind of discount should I be expecting over the MSRP sticker? Are the stickers overinflated so the dealers can offer larger incentives? Where can we find realistic, trustworthy info?

Granted, I'm shopping in Canada (Calgary, AB), but I'd still expect cars to cost less.

Ideas?

Reply to
Calab

Why would you expect the car prices to go down? Did the cost of the materials go down? Did the cost of the labor go down? I can see having some price drops to get people in the door but when they aren't making a "fair chunk" on the cars to start with then selling them for less doesn't increase the profit.

I see the same thing in my business. People call in and say "in this economy you should be giving me a discount" and the answer is always no. It makes no sense to leave the house if I'm not going to make money on a job. None of my costs have gone down.. they have actually all gone up considerably.

Steve B.

Reply to
Steve B.

Isn't it better to make a little money than nothing at all.

Reply to
m6onz5a