I'm saving a lot on gas...but my loan payments are a lot higher than they would be for a normal economy car; non hybrid. Prius?

How many times are you gonna post this?

Reply to
Jeff Strickland

I'm saving a lot on gas...but my loan payments are a lot higher than they would be for a normal economy car; non hybrid. Prius?

What's the moral of this story? Pay the oil boys or pay Toyota. But you're gonna pay!

Reply to
Zeek

Um, are you too stupid to read and understand the responses you got when you posted the same thing two days ago?

The Prius is NOT an economy car.

Reply to
Mike Rosenberg

YOU miss the whole big thread and _we're_ being asses? Do a Google Groups search.

We're not talking about luxury, we're talking about size. The Prius is specified a midsize car, not a subcompact or compact.

Well, no. What are you basing that on? The passenger compartment of the Prius is about the size of a Camry, and when I bought my 2004 Prius it cost almost exactly the same as a comparably equipped Camry. The ones you've listed are all smaller.

Reply to
Mike Rosenberg

No, if it were not for its hybrid portion, it's in line with the Camry and the Accord.

Reply to
Michelle Steiner

I never saw my initial post, post. Nor did I see any replies until resending my 2nd post; which i assumed was the first.

Would you two consider stop being ass*!*'s for a few moments and sending me the replies to the initial post?

What is it a luxury car? If it were not for it's hybrid portion it's inline with the Honda Civic, the Dodge Neon, and the Toyota Corolla.

Reply to
Zeek

Zeek, After your first ...and second post, your grammar and syntax remained so screwed up that I wonder that anyone was able to figure out what you were asking. Are you trying to say you own a Prius, and wonder why it's so expensive, or just WHAT? and if you're trying to ask a question, it might behoove you to speak a little more politely, and not call the other members of the ng "ass(!)s" if you want to hear a polite answer. Remember, members aren't required to answer your questions, and for some odd reason, don't respond well to being called "ass(!)s".

Reply to
mack

You may want to get yourself a better newsfeed, then.

you might have missed it because you replied to (and changed the subject) a thread about the 2006-2007 Prius' MP3/CD player, so your post and all replies may have been seen as in that thread.

Dodge no longer has the Neon, but it was a compact car. Both the Honda Civic and the Toyota Corolla are also compact cars.

The Prius since the 2004 model year has been a midsize car, comparable to the Toyota Camry or Honda Accord.

seems like a good time to repost the Corolla vs. Prius comparison again...

Based on an older post:

using US figures

2007 Prius:
Camry and Camry Hybrid:
Corolla:
I'm not quite sure why you are comparing the Prius with the Corolla... The Prius is a mid-size, and the Corolla is a compact. A better comparison is to the Camry. And the EPA tests are standardized, so you should use the same tests for comparason (city to city or highway to highway or combined to combined).

Car Sum (interior+cargo volume) Diff to Prius

--------------------------------------------- Prius 110.6 (96.2+14.4) +0.0 Camry 116.4 (101.4+15.0) +5.8 CamryH 112.0 (101.4+10.6) +1.4 Corolla 103.9 (90.3+13.6) -6.7 all listings in cu. ft.

EPA MPG Car City Highway

----------------------- Prius 60 51 Camry 24 33 CamryH 40 38 Corolla 30 38

150,000 EPA miles, @ $3/gallon: Prius @ 60MPG (city): 2500 gallons, $7500 Camry @ 24MPG (city): 6250 gallons, $18750, diff +$11250 to Prius CamryH @ 40MPG (city): 3750 gallons, $11250, diff +$3750 to Prius Corolla @ 30MPG (city): 5000 gallons, $15000, diff +$7500 to Prius Prius @ 51MPG (highway): 2941 gallons, $8824 Camry @ 33MPG (highway): 4545 gallons, $13625, $4811 diff to Prius CamryH @ 38MPG (highway): 3947 gallons, $11842, $3018 diff to Prius Corolla @ 38MPG (highway): 3947 gallons, $11842, $3018 diff to Prius

But since you are comparing to a Corolla, we should use an accurate comparison of the Prius and the Corolla, which means comparible options. Since the Prius is an automatic (eCVT) v4 engine (MSRP $22795 including the $620 Delivery, Processing, and Handling fee), I'll use automatic Corolla LE (v4 engine) (MSRP $16935 with same $620 DPH fee).

Then start adding in options. It looks like a number are standard between the Corolla LE and the Prius: Power Windows, Power Door Locks, Engine Immobilizer, Power Side Mirrors (Prius' is heated too), AC, Remote Keyless Entry, 6 Speaker AM/FM/CD, Tilt Steering Wheel, and Dual front airbags.

The Prius also includes ABS with tire pressure monitors, Traction Control, Cruise Control, side and curtain air bags, a Rear Spoiler (it's small, but it's there,) and Alloy wheels, which the Corolla LE doesn't have standard, but available as options. ABS/tire pressure monitor/traction control is package AB (MSRP $390), Cruise contol is only available in the audio value package VV (MSRP $200) (this will replace the Corolla's AM/FM/CD with a AM/FM/6 disc CD (same speakers) so we add $589 for a 6-disc CD changer accessory to the Prius (which then has a 7- disc CD capacity fyi)). Rear Spoiler accessory RF for the Corolla is $425, and Alloy Wheels are package AW (accessory price $499, package MSRP $390). The side airbags is package BE (MSRP $655). To summarize, 390+200+425+390+655 = $2060 to add to the Corolla to make it comparable to the Prius, while adding $589 to make it comparable to the Corolla.

So that's 16935+2060 = $18995 for the Corolla LE w/ the appropriate options and accessories. The Prius with the 6-disc changer is

22795+589 = $23384. The difference in MSRP is $4389 more for the Prius than the Corolla.

Now, there's also tax incentives for the Prius. The US Federal Income tax Hybrid Credit comes into effect, which for the 2007 Prius purchased now through March 31, 2007 is $1575.

7557,00.html There's also state incentives, depending on where you live (CO gives a $3,013 credit for a 2007 Prius (see
for instance), but I'll ignore those state incentives for now sinceit's location dependent.So with the current $1575 Fed income tax credit as stated above, theprice difference drops from $4389 to $2814. So, if you always drove your car according to the EPA highway test cycle, and gasoline was a stagnant $3/gallon over the time it takes you to drive 150,000 miles, and you purchased a vehicle today, and ignoring sales or excise taxes (based on the vehicle price): To purchase the Prius you'd spend $2814 more than on the comparable Corolla LE, but after 150,000 highway miles you'd spend $3018 more on the Corolla LE than on the Prius.

So, just comparing similar vehicles MSRP with their expected fuel use, you'd pay $204 more for the comparable 2007 Corolla LE than for the

2007 Prius.

YMMV with state incentives of course. Also, for really calculating ROI on a vehicle (not just purchase price and gasoline cost), you'd need to calculate the different cost for maintenance, insurance, and the big one: depreciation, which definitely makes the Prius even more attractive.

See also:

mrv

Nope. I've owned Corollas since '84. Although the Prius looks about the same size on the outside (I don't have the exact dimensions on hand. but they look approx. the same to me - just different configuration), it's bigger on the inside. I don't know exactly how they did it, but the Prius's interior is definitely roomier than that of the Corolla.

Cathy

Reply to
Cathy F.

Yeah, a number of people have commented that the Prius is a Tardis. (for those who don't follow Doctor Who, a Tardis is much larger on the inside than it is on the outside...)

Dimensions (in.)Overall height/width/length 58.7 / 67.9 / 175.0Wheelbase 106.3 Ground clearance 5.6 Passenger volume (cu. ft.) 96.2

Dimensions (in.)Overall height/width/length 58.5 / 66.9 / 178.3Wheelbase 102.4 Ground clearance 5.7 EPA passenger volume (cu. ft.) 90.3 (or 88.5 with power moonroof)

So, the Prius is barely taller than the Corolla, but has less ground clearance (so more useable vertical space). The Prius is wider than the Corolla, but also shorter than the Corolla.

Reply to
mrv

Lots of replies came the first time.

I think the numbers speak for themselves. A hybrid carries a several thousand dollar premium over the same make and model in standard engine trim. The Prius hasn't got a standard engine, but you should be able to follow along. In any case, the premium for the hybrid option takes something on the order of 200,000 miles to recover in fuel savings.

Bottom line is, you buy hybrid because you want to help wean us from foreign oil. Your contribution is helpful, but costly. Thanks for your sacrafice.

Reply to
Jeff Strickland

My 2004 Prius cost about the same as the comparably equipped Camry I would have bought instead.

You're welcome, but what I sacrificed was cargo space, and between the tax incentives and lower fuel bills, I can live with that.

Reply to
Mike Rosenberg

It just hit me, you want us to email you replies to your quiry. That's not the way it works. You post here, we reply here. There are people that 1.) have the same question and hope somebody else asks it, 2.) have an answer the is flat out wrong, and others jump in and try to help you more and correct the worng answer at the same time.

You post. We answer. You come back and check answers and ask follow up questions. That's how it works.

Reply to
Jeff Strickland

For the sedan version, the engineering team started with the seating dimensions (well before they considered the power train) and built the car around that, according to

I imagine the process was similar for the current model.

Mike

Reply to
Michael Pardee

Actually, my wife and I bought hybrid back in 2002 because we didn't know for sure what was going to happen to the price of gasoline, but we knew it wasn't going to be good. Back then it was $1.50 US per gallon and the wisdom was we would have to drive over 200K miles to recover the hybrid premium. We've seen the price of gas go up to $3 US and come back down to $2.20, now going back up. If gas averaged $2.50 US per gallon and we've averaged 45 mpg instead of 25 mpg (most of our driving is around town, which is less than ten miles across), we've burned about 1700 gallons at a cost of about $4200 US instead of 3000 gallons at a cost of $7500. Saving about $3000 in gasoline so far has gone a long way toward paying for the hybrid system. And the Prius is both a fantastically enjoyable car to drive and by far the most reliable car I've ever owned.

Did I mention the resale value?

Mike

Reply to
Michael Pardee

The April car issue of CR says the depreciation has been virtually nil since the '04. The resale price nearly equaling the MSRP back then. That's amazing.

Cathy

Reply to
Cathy F.

No, I buy hybrid because I want to reduce my pollution footprint and help conserve oil, whether it is foreign or domestic.

Not costly at all compared to the Camry, Accord, Acura, or Lexus that I would have bought instead.

Reply to
Michelle Steiner

Well, the car still will take 200K miles to recover the premium. The calculation is not the difference of gas then vs gas today, it's the difference in mileage the alternative car gets vs the mileage you get with this car. No matter how much gas costs, your choices are Car A or Car B. Car A gets X per mile, Car B gets Y. You calculate the recovery of cost based on X and Y. Of course, you may have to consider variables like, cdoes A demand Regular while B demands Premium, and those sorts of things. but If both A and B demand the same grade of gas, then the pay back comes from calculations arising out of X and Y, not out of the price of gas in the first place.

Reply to
Jeff Strickland

I'm afraid I don't follow you there. As I see it, the costs of fueling the car are proportional to the fuel consumption times the cost per gallon. If X consumes 4000 gallons to go 100K miles (25 mpg) and Y consumes 2200 gallons to go 100K miles (45 mpg), the operator buys an extra 1800 gallons to use car X for 100K miles. At $1 per gallon that is an additional $1800, but at $3 per gallon it is an additional $5400 over the course of 100K miles. If the price should rise to $4 per gallon the difference would rise to $7200. In 2002, I don't recall many people venturing gasoline would cost $3 per gallon. $2 was considered wild-eyed.

To make the most direct comparison, look at the conventional Camry and the hybrid Camry. The hybrid power train adds almost exactly $5000 to the price of a comparably equipped Camry SE. The conventional Camry with AT is rated

22 mpg in town, while the hybrid version is rated 40 mpg. Over the span of 100K miles the conventional Camry will want 4500 gallons, while the hybrid will want 2500. At $3, the extra 2000 gallons will cost the city driver of the conventional Camry $6000... $1000 US more than the hybrid version cost initially. Even figuring in the time value of the extra $5000, the hybrid has paid for itself within the first 85K miles. Slower as the price of gasoline goes down, faster as the price goes up.

Mike

Reply to
Michael Pardee

Knowing that one will never have to pay for a transmission and a starter ($2500), the payback is immediate as soon as it's driven off the lot.

Reply to
mark digital©