what to use Sears gift cards on?

subject says all... I really have 90% of the hand tools I need, and the ones I don't have I probably need to get from someone like Proto, Snap-On, etc...

I do need a new floor jack though. Does Sears sell a decent floor jack?

what else do they have that would be a really worthwhile purchase for an "advanced" amateur mechanic?

Does Sears sell any decent air compressors? I could use a compressor...

nate

Reply to
Nate Nagel

I just bought a Dremel Multi Max and it is great.

Reply to
Marvel

I would spend it all on bits and parts for my Craftsman version of a Dremel tool. If I could only have one tool, that would be it.

Reply to
Paul

The one I have is ok... sadly made in china but I got it on sale for so low of a price that I took the risk and turned out alright. It's not the kind of nice smooth action that people around here expect, it just does it's job. I should get a better jack.

They do carry some lisle speciality tools. Might be something there you could use. They have the K-D tie-rod/ball-joint tool kit (41690) that I've been thinking about getting but others have it for less online.

I have a craftsman compressor as a gift some years ago. I have put very little milage on it. It's generally been easier to use hand tools than set the thing up and then drain the condensation out etc... But it's one of those things I like having. It seems alright. They are probably all made in china by now so I doubt it's representive of what they sell these days.

Reply to
Brent

Thanks, that is a great suggestion. I've been using pickle forks for years but finally popped for some good urethane tie rod boots for the Stude so that tool kit would actually be useful to me. That's one of those things I think about every now and then but when I have money to spend on tools I never think of it (hence posting this thread.) And a good pitman arm puller as well... (for some reason, every time I have to pull a pitman arm off an old, rusty Ross steering box I end up breaking another cheap parts store puller...)

I see they sell Campbell-Hausfeld as well, are they decent or just similar consumber grade stuff? Or should I hold out and buy a real "industrial" one? 240VAC and large capacity tanks are Not A Problem for me. I see from Sears' web site that they also sell Ingersoll-Rand but they're a little out of my current price range. I could probably pick up a portable air tank as well... been meaning to scavenge an old portable compressor tank out of the dumpster at work, but a new shiny one with all the proper safety valves might be nice.

nate

Reply to
N8N

I didn't know sears carried those now... I've only seen their stuff at walmart and menards. All made in china. I think the air-chisel I bought but never used (it was on closeout for cheap) is Campbell-Hausfeld.

I really don't know air compressors. I've barely used the one I have. But I'll probably use it more this year with the suspension work I plan on doing.

Reply to
Brent

Sears has decent tap & die sets. Very nice to have around. Even if you just use them for chasing.

--Vic

Reply to
Vic Smith

Already have both metric and SAE, but thanks for the suggestion...

nate

Reply to
N8N

Forgetting the air and accessories, and standard and complete wrench sets, and Dremel stuff, here's some stuff that I've found handy. Magnetic parts retrievers - telescoping. Flexible plunger type claw part retrievers. Multiple type screw retainers. Colds chisel sets, including diamond point. (Of course you need a grinder) Non D-frame hacksaw blade holders.

18" Channel locks or equivalent. Every vise-grip you can afford Mostly tools you hardly use, but when you need them they are magic. You should have a real party in the Sears tool section.

--Vic

Reply to
Vic Smith

I have had that same compressor for over ten years now, still works good.

Reply to
Marvel

My dad bought a craftsman air compressor in the mid 1970's and it is still going strong. I only use it a few times a week now but in years past it got used daily. It was made by Dayton Electric in Chicago. It is almost identical to this current one:

Craftsman Professional 25 gal. Air Compressor, 1.8 hp, Horizontal Tank Item# 00919541000 Model# 19541 Rating 4.4 (71 Reviews I had to replace the air line check valve last year for $11. Parts are readily available. See who makes the current version.

I have several Camp-Haus air tools and sprayers. They seem to be good quality and have lasted 30 years. This is my all time favorite air tool. If could only choose one, it would be this one:

Home :: Tools :: Impact Wrenches :: TL101700AV 3/8 inch Butterfly Impact Wrench Item Number: TL101700AV

Reply to
Paul