Where can I get an old style non CARB 5-gal gasoline can?

Where can I get an old style non CARB compliant 5-gal gasoline can?

I pine for the days when 5-gallong gas jugs had a pour spout and a vent. All the gasoline cans I can find in the stores are something called "CARB compliant". They are miserable abominations.

I've never spilled so much gasoline in my life!

One model has an on/off lever, but you have to use two hands at all times, one to hold the can, the other to keep pressed down on the lever, and the third hand to hold the funnel. The moment you let up on the lever, the handle locks shut, necessitating a manual reset.

The other type has only a push-to-open tab which you supposedly press against the lip of the tool you're filling. Forget using funnels with this method. And, since the spout fills the opening of the tool you're filling, you can't see when it's full until you spill it all over the outside of the tool.

There must be somewhere I can get the old-style gas cans. What is the reason for these CARB abominations anyway?

Any idea where to get the old style 5-gallon gas cans?

Reply to
Brent

I use my old fuel jugs:

willy

or search eBay for "Jerry Can" - just be aware that there are several different kinds and the nozzles are not interchangeable between them.

nate

Reply to
Nate Nagel

Blame the gov'mint. At least that is what the guy in the hardware store told me when all I could find were these new crappy cans. They may keep in fumes but I've spilled more gas with them. With no vents, you get blurping. It may be a state by state option of finding them.

Reply to
Frank

Take a look at Kerosene and diesel jugs. Most of the ones sold around here are still the older non-CARB types.

Reply to
Steve W.

You may be tempted to modify your new-style can so that it actually works.

I betcha there is a significant sanction, like jail, fine, and/or flailing, if you do so.

It's for the children.

Reply to
HeyBub

Give them time and they will come up with a can that will only allow gasoline to go _in_ and never out. They have almost succeeded with that abortion with the lever you have to hold open.

Harry K

Reply to
Harry K

Some cut.

We used the old five gallon oil cans out on the farm. Some still available on Ebay.

Reply to
Dean Hoffman

Dean Hoffman wrote: ...

Was going to say/suggest same thing. Fortunately, still have a sizable collection that will outlast me...

Where to look would be highly dependent on where OP is located, I'd think. Major city/urban area would be tougher I'd think than rural given few city-folk deal in bulk oil products.

Reply to
dpb

They will make them so safe that people will go back to using glass milk jugs for the ga s.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

Places that require Algore cans:

CARB Compliant, Can Be Sold In CA, CT, DC, DE, MD, ME, NH, NJ, NY, OH, PA, TX & 5 Northern Counties Of VA

Reply to
George

Brent wrote the following:

You can blame the People's Republik of Kalifornia for that. CARB = California Air Resources Board.

Reply to
willshak

Speaking of which, I've not tried it as the form factor isn't quite as convenient but the current 5-gal plastic pails w/ the pour spout used for motor/hydraulic/etc. oil would certainly hold gasoline as well. Most of those the spouts pour reasonably well if not perfectly. Those should be relatively easy to find one of -- if nothing else by 5-gal of whatever motor oil one uses and transfer it to something else... :)

Reply to
dpb

Heh! Those are harder to find than metal gas cans. However,

Empty bleach jugs work well.

But to solve the original problem: If you can snuggle the mower up next to the car, there are siphon hoses that can defeat the filling-hose interlock business on the gas tank.

Reply to
HeyBub

Olive-Drab store will be happy to sell you a Jerry Can.

Or see if there are any Army-Navy surplus stores near you.I think nowadays they are made of plastic. cuhulin

Reply to
cuhulin

If you do that, don't forget to hit the tops with a spray can of red paint before you fill them the first time, lest some busybody at the gas station get on you for using the wrong can.

(When did red become 'required', anyway? Back in stone age, we had several pretty navy blue Belknap 5-gallon cans, with a seperate tiny lid for venting. No keeper chains, though, so you always had to be careful where you set it down.)

Reply to
aemeijers

the blue is a good idea, its for kerosene only.

mix gasoline in a kerosene container and bam explosion when using kerosene in a kerosene heater.

that happened in manufacturing somehere, kerosene got contaminated with gasolie some amish died.

Reply to
hallerb

snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote: ...

And to make matters even worse, they couldn't get any insurance... :(

Reply to
dpb

A few years ago in New Zealand a guy was walking real close by a heater mounted in a wall.He broke wind and a flame shot up his rear end.That gas is tough! cuhulin

Reply to
cuhulin

i think the supplier paid some compensation. certinally hope so the kerosene was all recalled. i guess it was re refined.

interestingly the supplier faxed the amish who are allowed phones and electric in their barns but not their homes for business purposes

Reply to
hallerb