Where is fill plug for rear diff? '87 S-10 Blazer 4WD

I've committed the classic newbie mistake of draining a fluid before making sure the fill plug can be removed. Actually, I'm not even sure if I found the fill plug. There's some kind of square drive which may be the plug on the passenger side, a little towards the front of the vehicle, a little over halfway up. My 3/8 extension doesn't quite fit though, the extension seems a little too big. Can't see any other plugs, and my Haynes is no help.

Can anyone please confirm the location of and tool needed for the rear differential fill plug on a '87 S-10 Blazer 4WD?

Thanks!!

Reply to
tylernt

I think you already found it. It can be a tight fit for the 3/8 extension... you may have to tap it in gently.

Reply to
Ashton Crusher

wrote

That is the plug. 3/8" is the right size. "Full" is a little below the bottom of the fill hole.

MasterBlaster

Ok, thanks. I'll also try to find a different extension that will maybe fit better.

You know, I keep forgetting that Autozone has stuff like this on their website. I should remember to check there first next time... thanks for the link!

Reply to
tylernt

Sigh. Upon closer inspection, it appears the square was slightly damaged at some point in the past. My further attempts to remove it have now destroyed it completely, so I will be filling the diff through the vent hose.

Anybody know how much fluid needs to be put in to bring the level to

3/8" below the fill plug? Any danger in overfilling it?
Reply to
tylernt

wrote

First link... Fig. 1: Capacities

1987 Drive axle rear 3.5 pints (1)All capacities are approximate. Add fluid gradually and check to be sure a proper fluid level is obtained.
Reply to
MasterBlaster

Haha, tylernt is embarrassed by the Autozone website again!

Reply to
tylernt

I have many times welded large nuts onto filler plugs when that happens. No problems so far.

Reply to
B.B.