is this anything??

hi y'all

87 blazer 350, at

as some of ya know (Doc), i had my intake manifold gasket replaced for a leak, and egr valve replaced due to poor performance-it was working, but telling the 'puter that it was at WOT when it was really at part throttle...anyway, i notice that when i first start driving in the morning, or anytime its been sitting for awhile, like after work, the temp guage goes over about 3/4 the way - almost to the red. It will then sit there for a minute then head on back down to its normal comfortable range.

Some parts jockey at Autozone said that exhaust gases is gettin' in to the waterjacket and i would have to have the gaskets all redone again. So i took it to the shop and tried to replicate it for them, but it was still fairly warm and would not get as far deep into the temp range as before (only got past the 210 mark a little bit as i kept givin' it gas). they checked the temps w/ some little laser gun temperature checker at various spots and got temps from 180 -190. Said my guage was probably off

10 degrees, and probably was not leaking exhaust into water jacket I am just all freaked out now thinkin' the worst, because temp guage never acted like this before and was wondering if there is any sure fire way to check for 'exhaust gases' getting in the water jacket? I changed the thermostat to see if that made a difference, and it did not. no coolant disappearing, no white smoke that i can discern. any advice is much obliged. thanks! jim
Reply to
JBS

When they replaced the intake gaskets and refilled the coolant they didn't burp it correctly and you have some air in there.

Doc

Reply to
"Doc"

. . . .

thanks! jim ======= ======= snipped-for-privacy@nope.com (Doc) writes......

When they replaced the intake gaskets and refilled the coolant they didn't burp it correctly and you have some air in there.

Doc ========= ==========

What Doc said.

But there is a simple test using a beaker and a chemical solution that tests for exhaust gas in the coolant system through the radiator fill port.

marshmonster ~:~

Reply to
Marsh Monster

The sell the chem at AZ.....on the tool isle - all the way towards the front of the store, 2nd or 3rd shelf up from bottom.....

JC

Reply to
JC

Can you be a little more specific JC...

...just kidding...

"JC" wrote in message news:34uVb.11624$ snipped-for-privacy@fe2.texas.rr.com... | | "Marsh Monster" wrote in message | news: snipped-for-privacy@storefull-3252.bay.webtv.net... | > . | > . | > . | > . | >

| > "JBS" wrote in message | > news: snipped-for-privacy@comcast.com... | >

| > hi y'all | >

| > 87 blazer 350, at | > as some of ya know (Doc), i had my intake manifold gasket replaced for a | > leak, and egr valve replaced due to poor performance-it was working, but | > telling the 'puter that it was at WOT when it was really at part | > throttle...anyway, | > i notice that when i first start driving in the morning, or anytime its | > been sitting for awhile, like after work, the temp guage goes over about | > 3/4 the way - almost to the red. It will then sit there for a minute | > then head on back down to its normal comfortable range. | > Some parts jockey at Autozone said that exhaust gases is gettin' in to | > the waterjacket and i would have to have the gaskets all redone again. | > So i took it to the shop and tried to replicate it for them, but it was | > still fairly warm and would not get as far deep into the temp range as | > before (only got past the 210 mark a little bit as i kept givin' it | > gas). they checked the temps w/ some little laser gun temperature | > checker at various spots and got temps from 180 -190. Said my guage was | > probably off 10 degrees, and probably was not leaking exhaust into water | > jacket I am just all freaked out now thinkin' the worst, because temp | > guage never acted like this before and was wondering if there is any | > sure fire way to check for 'exhaust gases' getting in the water jacket? | > I changed the thermostat to see if that made a difference, and it did | > not. no coolant disappearing, no white smoke that i can discern. any | > advice is much obliged. | >

| > thanks! | > jim | > ======= | > ======= | > snipped-for-privacy@nope.com (Doc) | > writes...... | >

| > When they replaced the intake gaskets and refilled the coolant they | > didn't burp it correctly and you have some air in there. | >

| > Doc | > ========= | > ========== | >

| > What Doc said. | >

| > But there is a simple test using a beaker and | > a chemical solution that tests for exhaust gas | > in the coolant system through the radiator fill | > port. | >

| | | The sell the chem at AZ.....on the tool isle - all the way towards the front | of the store, 2nd or 3rd shelf up from bottom..... | | JC | | | >

| > marshmonster | > ~:~ | >

| |

Reply to
Shades

*you* may be joking....but some of the ppl that come into that place *STILL* wouldn't be able to find it........

altho....those are the ppl that can't find their own right hand...............

JC

Reply to
JC

message

Reply to
JBS

Sounds like someone messed up a pretty easy job to me.

Doc

Reply to
"Doc"

temperature

Reply to
JBS

I CAN find my right hand. They don't carry it. Such a solution would probably be on teh checmical aisle, anyway.

Nowhere to be found at my Autozone....

message

Reply to
burntkat IS AT comcast.net

Well, at the 'Zone I work at (maybe it's a Texas thing.....), it's on the tool aisle. I've set that damn tool plan-o-gram more times than I care to think about......

JC

Reply to
JC

Get me a SKU number then and we'll prove how stupid the shopmonkeys are at my local 'Zone....

.... and perhaps show me my right hand needs to be named "Leftie"? 8)

Reply to
burntkat IS AT comcast.net

It's in the tool isle here too.

~KJ~

message

Reply to
KJ

I'd hate to say it, but it's in the tool isle here too. Looked for it when I got the stuff for my Oil Change.

--

---------------------------------------------------------------- Ed Murray Certified Locksmith My Enthusiast's Website:

Crooked-Ridez

Arghh!

SKU, already....

I LIKE humble pie! 8)

message

Reply to
burntkat IS AT comcast.net

Sorry BK, yesterday was my day off and I wasn't about to go to work on my day off!!

SKU: 391381

Retail around here is $7.99, and I was wrong - it's on the 4th shelf up from the bottom....

JC

Reply to
JC

Fot that sort they could try looking between their legs wrapped arouns a tool the size and shape of a matchstick ;)

I've heard of those chem indicators, will they work on diesels? I should expect so since both petrol and diesel are hydrocarbons.

rhys

Reply to
rnf2

Thanks, I'll look!