Why is my 1985 s 10 2.8 engine so hard to start ?

On Fri, 13 Oct 2017 22:47:51 -0700 (PDT), RalphD66

Then it's not coking. If you have a float gauge, check the level while it's running. Leave the air cleaner off, and let it sit overnight, and check the float level in the morning before you try to start it. If the float is bottomed out in the bowl, you have a leak in the float bowl, and that's your problem.
And to be honest, that doesn't seem all that likely. So let's get one thing straight, what do you mean by "hard starting"? Does it crank properly, or is it cranking slowly? Does the car start right up and then stall repeatedly? Or does it simply crank at proper speed without starting from the very beginning, and then finally start after extended cranking? And when it does start, is there black smoke, and rough running?
On Saturday, October 14, 2017 at 2:52:59 AM UTC-5, Bill Vanek wrote:

to start. I have done everything i know to fix this but no luck yet . I ha ve put a re-manufactured carburetor on it.I have checked all the vacuum lin es,replaced the fuel pump. manual pump. I have a clear fuel filter that loo k good. I have done a tune up,plugs,wires,cap,pickup module,exc... I have e ven done a compression test that passes easily. The engine runs good, its j ust hard to start. Im stumped !

hard to start after its been running.

:

ed-help-70113/

It spins over properly at proper speed without starting. once it starts it runs fine. no black smoke or rough running.
On Sat, 14 Oct 2017 07:51:42 -0700 (PDT), RalphD66

Well then, did you check to see if there is any fuel in the float bowl in the morning? That's really about all it can be. Or that combined with a fuel line that is also empty, and possibly a fuel pump issue. Did you at least look to see if the accelerator pump is squirting in the morning?
On Saturday, October 14, 2017 at 1:27:30 PM UTC-5, Bill Vanek wrote:

om>

e:
.com

ard to start. I have done everything i know to fix this but no luck yet . I have put a re-manufactured carburetor on it.I have checked all the vacuum lines,replaced the fuel pump. manual pump. I have a clear fuel filter that look good. I have done a tune up,plugs,wires,cap,pickup module,exc... I hav e even done a compression test that passes easily. The engine runs good, it s just hard to start. Im stumped !

ke

le hard to start after its been running.

of

on

or

t it

up

od

t's

ons:

-need-help-70113/

re

mp,

it runs fine. no black smoke or rough running.

Not yet but im going to soon. Ill let you know.
Will it start any quicker with a shot of starting fluid?
On Saturday, October 14, 2017 at 8:18:28 PM UTC-4, RalphD66 wrote:

.com>

ote:
il.com

hard to start. I have done everything i know to fix this but no luck yet . I have put a re-manufactured carburetor on it.I have checked all the vacuu m lines,replaced the fuel pump. manual pump. I have a clear fuel filter tha t look good. I have done a tune up,plugs,wires,cap,pickup module,exc... I h ave even done a compression test that passes easily. The engine runs good, its just hard to start. Im stumped !

like

ttle hard to start after its been running.

le of

he

.

ht

" on

d/or

por

the

hat it

ldup

Good

It's

tions:

qs-need-help-70113/

vere

pump,

s.

le

nd

ut

s it runs fine. no black smoke or rough running.

On 14/10/2017 6:52 PM, Bill Vanek wrote:

Coking is less likely on a carbureted or port fueled engine. Fuel wash prevents that occurring. That's an issue with diesels and GDI engines.

--

Noddy! Have you made that call, sent that email?
The number to call: 1300 304 064

It's not all that common, but there are certain vehicles that are prone to it. GM's G vans from the 80's or 90's were one, and I had an Allante with a severe case of it. I believe I also had a 2.8 Chevy engine in some vehicle with the problem. I think it's more likely with very high underhood temps.
On Friday, October 13, 2017 at 7:47:52 PM UTC-10, RalphD66 wrote:

to start. I have done everything i know to fix this but no luck yet . I hav e put a re-manufactured carburetor on it.I have checked all the vacuum line s,replaced the fuel pump. manual pump. I have a clear fuel filter that look good. I have done a tune up,plugs,wires,cap,pickup module,exc... I have ev en done a compression test that passes easily. The engine runs good, its ju st hard to start. Im stumped !

ard to start after its been running.

d-help-70113/

It's your electric choke on the carburetor. Look for the thermostat housing on the side of the carb and adjust it.
On Saturday, October 14, 2017 at 4:22:18 AM UTC-5, dsi1 wrote:

om

d to start. I have done everything i know to fix this but no luck yet . I h ave put a re-manufactured carburetor on it.I have checked all the vacuum li nes,replaced the fuel pump. manual pump. I have a clear fuel filter that lo ok good. I have done a tune up,plugs,wires,cap,pickup module,exc... I have even done a compression test that passes easily. The engine runs good, its just hard to start. Im stumped !

hard to start after its been running.

it

s:

eed-help-70113/

,

ng on the side of the carb and adjust it.
I converted the choke to manual.
On Saturday, October 14, 2017 at 4:58:08 AM UTC-10, RalphD66 wrote:

Visually check to make sure your choke is working correctly.

I was leaning very strongly toward this being the case, that the choke is not leaning down enough. But I suggested earlier than he try manually blocking the intake to simulate aggressive choking and he said that didn't help. --scott

On Tuesday, October 17, 2017 at 3:34:18 AM UTC-10, Scott Dorsey wrote:

It's a cold start problem with a carburetor. This should be dead simple to fix. He needs have an old fart mechanic look at his carb.

You'd think so. But back in the seventies _everybody_ had a carb and _everybody_ had cold start problems. It was just considered normal. Hmm, maybe there is a correlation here. --scott

On Tuesday, October 17, 2017 at 1:51:15 PM UTC-10, Scott Dorsey wrote:

I'll take your word for it. I live in the tropics so cold starting is not t oo much of a problem. I use to have a Barracuda that the previous owner dis connected the choke linkage. As I recall, the bimetal spring was located in the intake manifold. I'd have to idle the car for a while until the car wa rmed up. Beats the heck out of me why people want to disconnect an automati c choke.
On 17 Oct 2017 19:51:12 -0400, snipped-for-privacy@panix.com (Scott Dorsey) wrote:

Not everybody. I had no problems starting - winter or summer.

Yes, which is why I'm inclined to think that there might be a bit of trolling going on. None of his replies seemed to ring true. In fact, his replies seemed to be, "it's not that" mostly.
On Tuesday, October 17, 2017 at 3:08:50 PM UTC-10, Bill Vanek wrote:

You could be right about this.
dsi1 wrote:

I can say the only time I ever had a cold start issue in my old 85 SBlazer with the 2.8 it was due to the baseplate heater not working.
That carb is VERY fussy when it comes to the choke adjustment and they were always set on the lean side. Do you have the list of settings for all the linkages and controls?
Is this a feedback or non-feedback carb? They used both depending on the emissions controls you had.
What is your current starting procedure for cold and warm? You mentioned you converted to manual choke? Why? Was that done before or after the hard starting?
What fuel are you running? Does it have ethanol in it? If yes, that alone will cause starting issues in a carb not adjusted for it.
--
Steve W.

On Tuesday, October 17, 2017 at 8:08:50 PM UTC-5, Bill Vanek wrote:

trolling ??

Is coking really an issue with modern engines and fuels?
I remember my father talked about taking the car to the mechanic every spring to pull the heads and scrape everything down with a chisel, back when HE was a kid.
Shouldn't be TOO hard to clean the intake.... but the original poster has had the carb off and should have seen if it was gunked up in there. --scott