Windshield scratches: experience with cerium oxide?

My new car (only a month old) has scratches on the windshield from grit in a squeegee. The scratches can't be felt with a fingernail, so they seem to be candidates for cerium oxide polishing. Unfortunately the scratches are all half the width of the windshield, and both halves have these scratches - so I'm gonna wind up polishing about 60% of the entire surface of the glass, it's not just one or two spots.

I'd like to hear from someone who has used this material; specifically, I'm worried about clouding. At the moment I have a usable, but annoying piece of glass; I don't want to make things worse :)

I'm willing to invest a day's work polishing this if it will save me $350 for a new windshield.

Reply to
zwsdotcom

== Check your deductible on comprehensive insurance coverage. After finally realizing the scratches can be a safety hazard under certain lighting conditions, I was able to have the windshield replaced with a factory original for no charge.

tedious process, like an hour for a couple of square inches, then move to the next spot. Plus there is the potential to introduce unevenness in the finished glass surface.

Reply to
Daniel

It's $500 (plus, most likely, an increased premium when I reinsure. Insurance companies are not designed to pay money but to make money...).

My father-in-law has a junker car in his driveway, I'm tempted to scratch the windshield and then try to polish it out just to see what it's like.

Reply to
zwsdotcom

You will have to be an energetic worker to polish out an area that large. And I doubt that you will have the equipment to make even passes across the glass. Why not go back to whoever damaged the glass and have them replace it.

Reply to
John S.

That would be me. Because the scratches are so light, I couldn't see them as I was squeegeeing.

Reply to
zwsdotcom