Windshield wiper chatter

It doesn't look or feel old. Why does it do this? I usually just replace them (SoCal -- it hardly ever rains here) when they start to tear. Is there any reason to choose a beam type rather than the conventional type?

Reply to
The Real Bev

Wiper blades sometimes chatter when they are not at right angles to the glass. The rubber insert has to flip flop over when they change direction and adopt a dragging wiping motion. If the blade cannot flip, it will adopt a forward wedging (chiselling) action on the glass in one direction, especially in the presence of road grease. What I do is get a

4" adjustable wrench and fit it around the thin part of the wiper arm, then use it as a lever to square up the arm near where it attaches to the wiper blades assembly. If the arm is painted, a piece of cotton cloth between the adjustable wrench jaws and the painted arm section will prevent scuffing.

Oh, and don't forget to try cleaning the glass first.

HTH

Reply to
Xeno

Ozone and UV destroy wiper blades. Try to keep them out of the sun light as much as possible.

Reply to
Paul in Houston TX

I think that's it. It only chatters one way. I didn't replace that one when I replaced the long one because it was on the passenger side and just didn't need replacing. I suspect stiffness is the problem. I should have replaced it two weeks ago. We actually NEED them now!

I used to buy Tripl-Edge, but now they only do them mail order. Or they may even be out of business, which is a shame. I used those for many years and they went to the knackers along with the Sentra that couldn't pass smog tests any more.

No complaint about the Rain-X beam I bought at Walmart for the driver side.

Opinion on beam vs conventional?

It's kind of amazing how cheap windshield washer fluid is. Until I bought the 2013 Corolla I never had a working washer :-)

Reply to
The Real Bev