However, what doesn't make sense to me is that I have been able to use the key fob to unlock my car after being at work and having my car sit outside for about 8 hours. The key fob even works from an extended distance so it d oesn't seem like it is a issue with the battery within the key fob (I've al so only had the car since September '16 so I would think the key fob batter y would last longer than that).
I don't have a remote start option and the key fob looks like this: https:/ /www.denver-locksmith.net/wp-content/uploads/2017/09/Subaru-Outback-key-fob -e1505426823803.jpg
Any help would be appreciated
On 2018-01-10 11:19 AM, snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

My "totally without any mechanical knowledge" guess would be that somewhere in the door lock mechanicals, something involved with the locking/unlocking pieces is freezing and the motors that should move it are unable to overcome the resistance.
Other than opening the door(s) and checking all the moving parts of the locking mechanism, I don't know what you might be able to do about it.
On 1/10/2018 12:34 PM, Darryl Johnson wrote:

Don't know if it has anything to do with it but car battery capacity might drop 20-30% in cold weather even if the battery is new. A double push of the open switch might be tried to see if other doors are opened. Then it might be related to mechanical. I think if none open then it might be battery related.
On Wednesday, January 10, 2018 at 11:19:30 AM UTC-5, Russell Grimm wrote:

ock my car (2017 Subaru Outback) when it is extremely cold out and my car h as been sitting overnight. This has only started to occur within the last t wo days and only is an issue in the morning after my car has sat outside ov ernight.

tly normal in every other way. I am also able to lock my car with the key f ob without any issue after it has been driven. The fact that once the car h eats up the key fob has no issue makes me think it is an issue internal to the car and not the key fob.

e key fob to unlock my car after being at work and having my car sit outsid e for about 8 hours. The key fob even works from an extended distance so it doesn't seem like it is a issue with the battery within the key fob (I've also only had the car since September '16 so I would think the key fob batt ery would last longer than that).

://www.denver-locksmith.net/wp-content/uploads/2017/09/Subaru-Outback-key-f ob-e1505426823803.jpg

Update: It definitely isn't the key fob battery. I replaced it last night a nd tested it out this morning and the it would not work. However, when I go t to work I was able to lock my car with the key fob. Seems to be something internal with the car that is not operating properly when the car has sat for awhile or is very cold.
[...]

Update: The issue is not the battery in the key fob. I replaced it last nig ht but the car still would not respond to the key fob this morning. However , after driving to work I was able to lock the car with the key fob. Seems the issue is something within the car that is not working when the car has sat for awhile or is very cold.
On Thursday, January 11, 2018 at 9:36:27 AM UTC-5, Russell Grimm wrote:

nlock my car (2017 Subaru Outback) when it is extremely cold out and my car has been sitting overnight. This has only started to occur within the last two days and only is an issue in the morning after my car has sat outside overnight.

ectly normal in every other way. I am also able to lock my car with the key fob without any issue after it has been driven. The fact that once the car heats up the key fob has no issue makes me think it is an issue internal t o the car and not the key fob.

the key fob to unlock my car after being at work and having my car sit outs ide for about 8 hours. The key fob even works from an extended distance so it doesn't seem like it is a issue with the battery within the key fob (I'v e also only had the car since September '16 so I would think the key fob ba ttery would last longer than that).

ps://www.denver-locksmith.net/wp-content/uploads/2017/09/Subaru-Outback-key -fob-e1505426823803.jpg

ight but the car still would not respond to the key fob this morning. Howev er, after driving to work I was able to lock the car with the key fob. Seem s the issue is something within the car that is not working when the car ha s sat for awhile or is very cold.
Any Update: This morning was much warmer than prior days and the key fob wo rked without any issue. It's pretty clear to me that this is an issue with something in the car itself and it is not operating when it gets too cold. I'm bringing the car in to the dealership for some regular maintenance so I will be making them aware of this issue and hopefully they can figure out what needs to be fixed.
On 1/12/2018 8:44 AM, Russell Grimm wrote:

Is the problem just one door?
I'm not sure anybody has asked this question so I will: Is your key fob kept in a warm place overnight or in a cold place such as an unheated "mud room"?
replying to russell.grimm22, bosco wrote: It's not the car. The problem is with the key fob. If it is warm it will work. If it is cold, it will not. Keep it in a warm place, like a trouser pocket.
On Thu, 30 May 2019 12:18:02 UTC, bosco

Maybe it needs fresh batteries?
--
John Varela

On 5/30/2019 7:00 PM, John Varela wrote:

Certainly the first thing to try -- it is both cheap and easy.
On 5/30/19 8:06 PM, John McGaw wrote:

Some of those fobs and keys are just about impossible to open, no matter how extensive your collection of watchmaker tools and dental picks ;-)
--
Ever notice the shortage of "armed law-abiding citizen” victim tragedy
stories in the news?
On 5/31/2019 7:50 AM, Wade Garrett wrote:

Could be that the one in question is especially difficult but I've had no problem with the dongle/key for my '08 OB and my '06 MX-5 and a couple of others I've changed for friends and neighbors. Haven't had to do anything with my '18 OB's dongle. A glance at the vehicle's owner's manual should give some good clues as to the difficulty but often the only requirement is a tiny Phillips screwdriver.
I do have the requisite tools and have been working on electronics for decades so maybe it just looks easier than it is to me. Dongles are far less scary than changing, for example, a glued-in battery in a mobile which was designed to be as difficult as possible.
On 5/31/19 11:48 AM, John McGaw wrote:

I'm with you on that. Years back, I replaced the batteries in two model 4S iPhones. The thick slabs of glue holding them in was very difficult to defeat.
--
Nigerian authorities found a man dead in his apartment along with 16
billion dollars stored there. Apparently he had been trying to give it