Key fob not working in cold weather only in the morning

So I've recently started to have a problem with getting my key fob to unloc
k my car (2017 Subaru Outback) when it is extremely cold out and my car has
been sitting overnight. This has only started to occur within the last two
days and only is an issue in the morning after my car has sat outside over
night.
I can get the car unlocked using my key and it starts and performs perfectl
y normal in every other way. I am also able to lock my car with the key fob
without any issue after it has been driven. The fact that once the car hea
ts up the key fob has no issue makes me think it is an issue internal to th
e car and not the key fob.
However, what doesn't make sense to me is that I have been able to use the
key fob to unlock my car after being at work and having my car sit outside
for about 8 hours. The key fob even works from an extended distance so it d
oesn't seem like it is a issue with the battery within the key fob (I've al
so only had the car since September '16 so I would think the key fob batter
y would last longer than that).
I don't have a remote start option and the key fob looks like this:
-e1505426823803.jpg
Any help would be appreciated
Reply to
russell.grimm22
My "totally without any mechanical knowledge" guess would be that somewhere in the door lock mechanicals, something involved with the locking/unlocking pieces is freezing and the motors that should move it are unable to overcome the resistance.
Other than opening the door(s) and checking all the moving parts of the locking mechanism, I don't know what you might be able to do about it.
Reply to
Darryl Johnson
Don't know if it has anything to do with it but car battery capacity might drop 20-30% in cold weather even if the battery is new. A double push of the open switch might be tried to see if other doors are opened. Then it might be related to mechanical. I think if none open then it might be battery related.
Reply to
Frank
ock my car (2017 Subaru Outback) when it is extremely cold out and my car h as been sitting overnight. This has only started to occur within the last t wo days and only is an issue in the morning after my car has sat outside ov ernight.
tly normal in every other way. I am also able to lock my car with the key f ob without any issue after it has been driven. The fact that once the car h eats up the key fob has no issue makes me think it is an issue internal to the car and not the key fob.
e key fob to unlock my car after being at work and having my car sit outsid e for about 8 hours. The key fob even works from an extended distance so it doesn't seem like it is a issue with the battery within the key fob (I've also only had the car since September '16 so I would think the key fob batt ery would last longer than that).
Update: It definitely isn't the key fob battery. I replaced it last night a nd tested it out this morning and the it would not work. However, when I go t to work I was able to lock my car with the key fob. Seems to be something internal with the car that is not operating properly when the car has sat for awhile or is very cold.
Reply to
Russell Grimm
ock my car (2017 Subaru Outback) when it is extremely cold out and my car h as been sitting overnight. This has only started to occur within the last t wo days and only is an issue in the morning after my car has sat outside ov ernight.
tly normal in every other way. I am also able to lock my car with the key f ob without any issue after it has been driven. The fact that once the car h eats up the key fob has no issue makes me think it is an issue internal to the car and not the key fob.
e key fob to unlock my car after being at work and having my car sit outsid e for about 8 hours. The key fob even works from an extended distance so it doesn't seem like it is a issue with the battery within the key fob (I've also only had the car since September '16 so I would think the key fob batt ery would last longer than that).
Update: The issue is not the battery in the key fob. I replaced it last nig ht but the car still would not respond to the key fob this morning. However , after driving to work I was able to lock the car with the key fob. Seems the issue is something within the car that is not working when the car has sat for awhile or is very cold.
Reply to
Russell Grimm
nlock my car (2017 Subaru Outback) when it is extremely cold out and my car has been sitting overnight. This has only started to occur within the last two days and only is an issue in the morning after my car has sat outside overnight.
ectly normal in every other way. I am also able to lock my car with the key fob without any issue after it has been driven. The fact that once the car heats up the key fob has no issue makes me think it is an issue internal t o the car and not the key fob.
the key fob to unlock my car after being at work and having my car sit outs ide for about 8 hours. The key fob even works from an extended distance so it doesn't seem like it is a issue with the battery within the key fob (I'v e also only had the car since September '16 so I would think the key fob ba ttery would last longer than that).
ps://
-fob-e1505426823803.jpg
ight but the car still would not respond to the key fob this morning. Howev er, after driving to work I was able to lock the car with the key fob. Seem s the issue is something within the car that is not working when the car ha s sat for awhile or is very cold.
Any Update: This morning was much warmer than prior days and the key fob wo rked without any issue. It's pretty clear to me that this is an issue with something in the car itself and it is not operating when it gets too cold. I'm bringing the car in to the dealership for some regular maintenance so I will be making them aware of this issue and hopefully they can figure out what needs to be fixed.
Reply to
Russell Grimm
I'm not sure anybody has asked this question so I will: Is your key fob kept in a warm place overnight or in a cold place such as an unheated "mud room"?
Reply to
Ben Jammin
It's not the car. The problem is with the key fob. If it is warm it will work. If it is cold, it will not. Keep it in a warm place, like a trouser pocket.
Reply to
bosco
Some of those fobs and keys are just about impossible to open, no matter how extensive your collection of watchmaker tools and dental picks ;-)
Reply to
Wade Garrett
Could be that the one in question is especially difficult but I've had no problem with the dongle/key for my '08 OB and my '06 MX-5 and a couple of others I've changed for friends and neighbors. Haven't had to do anything with my '18 OB's dongle. A glance at the vehicle's owner's manual should give some good clues as to the difficulty but often the only requirement is a tiny Phillips screwdriver.
I do have the requisite tools and have been working on electronics for decades so maybe it just looks easier than it is to me. Dongles are far less scary than changing, for example, a glued-in battery in a mobile which was designed to be as difficult as possible.
Reply to
John McGaw
I'm with you on that. Years back, I replaced the batteries in two model 4S iPhones. The thick slabs of glue holding them in was very difficult to defeat.
Reply to
Wade Garrett
I am having the same problem with my Monte Carlo. I have changed the batter y to the Fob and a new battery in the car, it still does the same thing. Wi ll not unlock the door after a cold overnight. I researched it and found th at the lock actuators may be going bad so I planed on replacing them. They are relatively inexpensive - HOWEVER, investigating it more, I realized tha t not only do the locks not unlock after a cold night, the lights don't fla sh as they usually do. I haven't checked the trunk operations yet but I wil l in the morning. So, my conclusion is that it's unlikely to be the door lo ck actuators because both door locks going out at the same time and the lig hts don't flash when I push the Fob repeatedly. I called the dealer and the y had no idea. So if you find an answer, I'd appreciate a heads up.
Reply to
wilsband

Site Timeline Threads