05 Matrix - no overdrive OK?

I'm new here. Just got a used 05 Matrix XR w. 4 spd. auto transmission. It says in the manual to always use overdrive to boost gas mileage and reduce noise. I mostly drive in urban settings, and it seems driving w/out the overdrive offers a little more responsive. Am I right, or deluding myself? Will this harm the engine or transmission. Any idea on the hit it will cause on fuel efficiency?

Thanks in advance.

Ted

Reply to
catmandude

I have an '86 Camry that has spent most of it's life OUT of OD...

Reply to
Hachiroku

That's always the compromise...fuel economy for performance. Try it each way and see if the fuel economy you give up is worth the extra speed.

One can argue that if the engine spins less, it will have reduced wear but also consider that if you have to switch in and out of overdrive often, it increases wear on the transmission.

Reply to
Viperkiller

I'd suggest that if you often forget to enable OD when you do get out on the highway, you'd probaly be better off leaving OD enabled all the time.

As for a difference in around-town fuel efficiency, you should try to measure it and, please, let us know what you find.

***
Reply to
dh

Driving with the overdrive disabled will improve responsiveness at the expense of fuel efficiency, especially when driving at steady speeds at 30 MPH or higher. The engine will operate at higher RPM with the OD off so you will get more wear and tear and lower fuel economy. The effect on fuel economy really varies with your driving conditions and driving style. The most accurate way to tell is for you to do your normal routine for a couple of tanks with the OD off and then a couple more with the OD on and compare.

BTW, I would not routinely downshift from 4th to 3rd to provide engine braking as that will quickly wear down the friction surfaces in the transmission. It is a lot less expensive to replace brake pads than tear down a transmission to replace friction surfaces.

Reply to
Ray O

why ? Floor it and it will shift down anyways. Don't see the need. Only time it is beneficial is when you are driving up a hill. It prevent the tranny from shifting in and out of overdrive all the time if you're right in between that spot where OD doesn't cut it, but the next gear down will make it go fast enought to shift to overdrive again.

Reply to
RT

I agree...another reason to manually shift down is when the road surface is slippery (snow etc) and hilly, an unexpected downshift can suddenly start a drive wheel spin and toss you into the ditch or the oncoming lane filled with semi-trailers...quite unhealthy.

Reply to
Gord Beaman