Best state on the east to buy used?

I'm going to be buying a used vehicle soon, most likely a Toyota. I will be looking in the 88-95 range. I live in NH, and many of the Toyos up here are rotting out by that age. I'm considering taking a brief vacation south a few states, and buying while I'm down there. I assume I'd need to go far enough South to avoid most snow, while staying north of Florida with it's 270 degree salt water & humidity.

Is Virginia far enough south? Am I correct in thinking VA, W. VA. NC, SC & GA would all be good places to find vehicles that are not rusting?

Also, how far inland should a vehicle have spent most of it's life to avoid salt damage? I assume VA beach isn't too much better than central NH?

I realize the midwest holds many options as well, but I don't want to go that far.

Thanks,

Dan

Reply to
Dan in Dover

My Dad lived the last 10 years of his life in a large condo complex in Palm Beach that was located about 5-7 miles inland. Very large parking lot (hundreds of cars)-- all of them parked outdoors and I saw more rust on older cars there than in my home town-- Atlanta (250 miles inland).

The bigger issues for Florida cars that live outside.are sun-fading, finish-weathering, dashboard baking/hardening, leather seats drying out.

Reply to
Kicking Bird

The west coast of Florida does not seem to have the problems the east coast does.

My '92 Corolla Wagon looks just like new, with only one small spot of rust.

I'd guess has to do with the prevailing winds off the salt water.

Reply to
Scott in Florida