Clackety valves

It's actually the other way around on many.. In many ways they are becoming less complicated and easier to work on. The car I had before the 05 Corolla was a 89 Honda Accord. It was actually smaller than the Corolla. Sat a lot lower and had a 2.0 L vs the 1.8 L. But it got probably 8-10 less mpg than the Corolla. I averaged about 27 mpg with a city/highway mix. The 89 Accord was more complicated than the 05 Corolla. It had a feedback carb, and about 129 vacuum lines. :/ Working on that car was like going in for a root canal. Access was hard to almost anything. Just changing the starter was a PIA.. Hardly any room, so when you unbolted it, you then had to snake it through pipes to the other side to get it out. It was a good car, but I hated working on that thing. :(

In comparison, the 05 Corolla should be a relative breeze to work on. Under the hood is much less cluttered, few vacuum lines, no plug wires, distributor ,etc.. No goofy feedback carb. The Honda had a timing belt which needed to be regularly changed. The newer Corolla has a timing chain which does not require regular service. I've never had to work on it yet because so far nothing has broke, but from looking at them, I'd rather work on the newer Corolla any day. I'll also take it's 8-10 mpg mileage increase. It's coming up on 60k miles, so I'll probably give it a good going over, and likely should change the serpentine belt on it just to avoid future problems. If I do, that will be the first time I'd actually had to do any real work on it besides changing the oil.

******** I agree... OBD II vehicles are much easier to diagnose and repair and tend to be much more reliable than the older cars with feedback carburetors & miles of vacuum lines.
Reply to
Ray O

He's a libertarian!

Proof?

Reply to
Jane_Galt

As an Objectivist, I'd actually like to see all electric vehicles, and it's perfectly within parameters of my philosophy for the government to require that to be phased in.

"Since the protection of individual rights is the only proper purpose of a government, it is the only proper subject of legislation: all laws must be based on individual rights and aimed at their protection." -- Ayn Rand

"The necessary consequence of man's right to life is his right to self- defense. In a civilized society, force may be used only in retaliation & only against those who initiate its use. All the reasons which make the initiation of physical force an evil, make the retaliatory use of physical force a moral imperative. If some 'pacifist' society renounced the retaliatory use of force, it would be left helplessly at the mercy of the

1st thug who decided to be immoral. Such a society would achieve the opposite of its intention: instead of abolishing evil, it would encourage & reward it." - Ayn Rand "The Nature of Government" ( 1961 )

Polluting is initiating of force against others.

Reply to
Jane_Galt

That's happened before, and as soon as OPEC sees the demand drop because of higher prices, they freak out and lower prices again, leaving those who started developing lighter and more efficient vehicles with their...er..backsides in their hands, so to speak.

Reply to
Jane_Galt

Get your facts strait. When the fuel prices went up a few years ago, demand did not go down. It was only when the recession started and that demand and fuel prices went down.

Reply to
dr_jeff

As an Objectivist, you're a fool who worships a psychopathic leader who admired a serial killer. Notice how TJ Rodgers (thinks of himself as Howard Roark or Hank Reardon) isn't doing better than his not-so- political or philosophical enemy, Steve Sanghi, and Rodgers is trying to cash in on that sweet government subsidy money with his photovoltaic venture, just like the hypocrites most Objectivists are.

Buckyballs have as much a chance of contributing significantly to vehicle fuel economy as Reardon metal does. All the cheap & easy stuff to improve fuel economy has already been put in place, according to former GM vice-chairman Bob Lutz.

Reply to
larry moe 'n curly

No idea what you're talking about.

GM? LOL!

Reply to
Jane_Galt

Of course not; otherwise you wouldn't be an objectivist. Ayn Rand admired murderer William Hickman because he existed only for himself and didn't expect others to care about that. Rand considered him a true Nietzscheian Superman.

TJ Rodgers is founder and head of Cypress Semiconductor and loudly proclaims himself a Randian libertarian, never mind that Rand hated libertarians ("left-wing hippies") and charity (Rodgers heads a big food drive every year). His company has been lagging against Microchip, Steve Sanghi's firm.

Again, you don't know what I'm talking about, yet you have a strong opinion about it. Lutz was one of the few competent GM executives, and he revived Cadillac. He had earlier been at Ford, and Lee Iacocca said he should have appointed Lutz to succeed him at Chrysler.

Explain how much buckyballs will be able to improve fuel economy.

Reply to
larry moe 'n curly

That's idiotic, she hated Nietzsche.

Reply to