Flood-damaged cars being sold?

Unless one is the party involved, it's easy and tempting to imagine the worst. I'm confident your expectations are met in many instances, but I also believe they're not the norm.

Happily, I have scant personal data. My wife's Subaru Forester gave its life to save hers. Outwardy the damage looked fixable, but on closer examination it was clear that the forward crumple zone had crumped its little heart out. Its designers, engineers and builders deserve medals.

Our insurer, AMICA, offered to sell us the carcass for $300 but I declined the opportunity. BTW, the settlement was very satisfactory -- right down to paying us the state sales tax on the car's pre-event value.

We took the money and bought a Prius. We hope we'll never learn how it crumps. :-)

Brent

Reply to
Brent Secombe

I dunno...around here the adjusters meet you in a parking lot, your house, wherever. Usually the body shop owner doesn't know the adjuster, they rotate them around so this type of thing is rare.

Reply to
Hachiroku

$500 is a high deductible for comprehensive coverage. Generally comprehensive deducible is offered at $100, $50, and zero, the rates between which are small, for $500 the premium is much lower.

mike hunt

Reply to
Mike Hunter

$500 is a high deductible for comprehensive coverage. Generally comprehensive deducible is offered at $100, $50, and zero, the rates between which are small, for $500 the premium is much lower.

mike hunt

Reply to
Mike Hunter

Yes, but you're talking about individuals, not dealerships. Been a while since I've looked at this, but I'd expect a large dealership to carry a physical damage deductible of at least $100,000. Dealers with several locations might well decide to self-insure physical damage, depending on where in the up/down pricing cycle the insurance industry is at the moment...

Reply to
Steve

Any dealer worth his salt will carry millions in damage loss insurance on the buildings and vehicles, but still needs a low comprehensive individual deductible for damage for vandalized, wind, hale storm, etc., damaged vehicles. One need not carry flood insurance on a vehicles, just on the physical realestate.

mike hunt

Reply to
Mike Hunter

I'm afraid you don't understand much about commercial insurance.

Reply to
Steve