(FYI) Toyota Passes Ford for No. 2 in US Sales

DETROIT (AP) - Toyota Motor Corp. overtook Ford Motor Co. to become the No. 2 automaker by U.S. sales in 2007, using new products and relentless
strategy to break Ford's 75-year lock on the position.
Toyota sold 48,226 more cars and trucks than Ford, according to sales figures released Thursday. Toyota's sales were up 3 percent for the year, buoyed by new products like the Toyota Tundra pickup, which saw sales jump 57 percent.
Ford's sales fell 12 percent, ending with a whimper a year that is expected to be the worst for the auto industry since 1998 as consumers fretted over high gas prices and the economy.
Ford corporate historian Bob Kreipke said it was the first time since 1931 that Ford wasn't second behind General Motors Corp. in U.S. sales.
Ford's car sales plummeted 24 percent for all of 2007 as some models like the Ford Mustang aged and a new Ford Taurus sedan was unable to match the volumes of the older version. Truck sales were down 5 percent for the year.
Jim Farley, who recently became Ford's global marketing chief after a career at Toyota, said the new numbers won't change Ford's recovery plan.
"In fact, it actually accelerates the way we're running the business," Farley told The Associated Press. "It accentuates the difference between how we're running the business and how our competitors are running the business. It requires us to stick to the plan, no doubt, but it also requires us to really accelerate the development of new products."
Farley pointed out that Ford had some hits in 2007, particularly its Ford Edge and Lincoln MKX crossover vehicles. Ford crossovers grew 62 percent over the year, far outpacing the industrywide average of 17 percent.

i'm looking forward to Toyota and Honda to be #1 & #2 in the VERY near future.
"Bentracer and Bentrider" ... "Ph@Boy" wrote:

*snipping for brevity*
i'm looking forward to Toyota and Honda to be #1 & #2 in the VERY near future.
Bentracer and Bentrider
Why? I'd like to see domestic carmakers regain their status, mostly because I root for the home team. I'd love to drive a domestic car with confidence, actually.
Natalie
Wickeddoll wrote:

Me too. So when, back in the early 80's Ford came out with their 'Quality is Job 1' slogan, I took another chance with them and bought a Mustang GT. It was the worst car I ever owned. The trunk key didn't match the others, all kinds of rattles, and one day when I turned on the headlights, it ignited a fire under the hood wiring harness. I ruined a brand new coat putting out the fire.
That was a long time ago, and maybe now they have gotten better. But my Toyota has been just fine, and that is today. The fact that some Toyotas are U.S. built is being patriotic enough for me. Once bitten twice shy.
"Fred Exley" ...

I'm cautiously optimistic. I think domestic automakers know everything is riding on their not holding back in any way. At least I hope so.
Natalie
On Thu, 3 Jan 2008 16:46:33 -0500, "Wickeddoll"

Ford really is giving it a great go, and GM has a some recent cars that are rising to the occasion.
If they can keep it up, it's a win-win-win for them, the US industrial complex, and car buyers.
"Bonehenge (B A R R Y)" .. "Wickeddoll" wrote:

Yup! Despite what people may think of my driving a Toyota, I am very willing to go back to a good domestic car.
Natalie
<snipped> i'm looking forward to Toyota and Honda to be #1 & #2 in the VERY near future.
Toyota and Honda have a ways to go to be #1 and #2 in U.S. sales...
2007 U.S. sales (including subsidiary divisions) from Automotive News GM: 3,822,611 Toyota: 2,620,825 Ford: 2,559,133 Chrysler: 2,076,650 Honda: 1,551,542 Nissan: 1,068,238
--

Ray O
(correct punctuation to reply)
"Ray O" <rokigawaATtristarassociatesDOTcom> wrote in message

They didn't include Mazda in the Ford totals - 2007 Mazda US Sales (Mazda Only) = 296,110
While Ford might not own 100% of Mazda, they own a controlling interest and several Mazda models (US pick-ups and Tribute) are actually rebadged Fords. I think it would be fair to include at least some of Mazda totals as "Fords." Of course since Toyota owns part of Subaru, I suppose you should credit some of their US sales to Toyota - say 9% of 187,208 (16,849).
Ed
"C. E. White"...

Geeze, Ed - you're a walking reference book on the auto industry! Is (was) that your job?
Natalie

No, but I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night.
Ed
"C. E. White" ...

*snip*
LOL - yeah, there is quite a variety there.
Natalie

LOL! Ed gets my vote for the most diligent, objective researcher in this ng!
--

Ray O
(correct punctuation to reply)
Toyota has been dumping 2007 models in its effort to outsell Ford in 2007. Rental car companies are loaded with heavily discounted 2007 Solaras, while in 2006 few rental car companies even used Toyota vehicles, other than the Corolla.
Brand new 2007 Tundras, with no mileage have been flowing through Manheim Auctions for five months for as low as 25K. Tundra sales are up over 50%, but 50% of meager is still meager, compared to domestic truck sales Toyotas truck are less than 10% of the market

Subaru is also owned by Toyota, right?

As I indicated, a percentage of Subaru is owned by Toyota. Toyota bought shares of Subaru from GM (back when GM was dumping there ownership interest in Subaru). Of course when it comes to who owns what in Japan things get very complicated. I do know that Toyota directly owns about 9% of Subaru (Actually Fuji Heavy Industries). It is entirely possible that other companies controlled by Toyota might own some also. And Subaru is actually assembling Camrys for Toyota in one of their under utilized US factories. Toyota is the largest single shareholder of Subaru (Fuji Heavy Industries) but I really don't know what the total percentage is. Toyota also bought part of Isuzu (again from GM).
http://www.autoblog.com/2005/10/05/gm-sells-subaru-stake-to-toyota / http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/archive/index.php/t-1205348.html http://tsikot.yehey.com/?p &22
Ed

http://www.autoblog.com/2005/10/05/gm-sells-subaru-stake-to-toyota/http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/archive/index.php/t-1205348.htmlhttp://tsikot.yehey.com/?p &22
Thanks, Sorry I meant to say Isuzu and not Subaru. Good thing you mentioned Isuzu on the last part of your message. Since we are on the subject, Aisin and Denso are also owned by Toyota?
<snipped>

Toyota is the major shareholder for Aisin and Denso. Both companies are part of Toyota's keiretsu.
--

Ray O
(correct punctuation to reply)

Toyota owns some shares of Fuji Heavy Industries (see my response to Ed White).
--

I think that Automotive News' criteria for including a subsidiary is at least 51% ownership. According to this Mazda web site: http://www.mazda.com/investors/stockinfo/situation.html Ford owns 33% of Mazda. While Ford appears to be the shareholder with the largest percentage of shares, it doesn't fall under Automotive News' counting criteria.
According to this Fuji Heavy Industries (the maker of Subaru) web site: http://www.fhi.co.jp/english/ir/share_info/share.htmlhttp://www.fhi.co.jp/english/ir/share_info/share.html Toyota Motor Corp is the shareholder with the largest percentage of shares at 8.69%.