Heavy fuel consumption

Toyota Picnic: 2 litre 4 cyl engine, auto tans. Rated at about 35 mpg, doing low 20s mpg. 64,000 miles. The plugs look fine and the exhaust doesn't look too black. There is new oil and air filter. No apparent reason for the heavy fuel consumption, except one: front right hand side bearing is whining on bends. Would it create enough drag to affect mpg?

What are the obvious points to look for? Or what to rectify to eliminate the problem? New plugs? New ignition leads? ? ? ?

TIA

Reply to
top gear
63K miles, check the O2 sensor would be my suggestion first. Also air leaks, sticking handbrake/discs.
Reply to
Coyoteboy

Did you just acquire the vehicle? If not, what were you getting for fuel consumption before?

A bad bearing theoretically will affect fuel consumption but in the real world, it is probably not noticeable.

What accessories are installed, i.e. roof rack, turbo, etc.

Reply to
Ray O

Yes.

No roof rack. A/c drops about 10% or so, and it has a/c and an auto tranny. Rated about 35 mpg with manual gears, with an a/c on and auto box I expect to be around 30 mpg. A bad wheel bearing maybe about 28mph. But not 21 mpg.

Reply to
top gear

Assuming you are measuring fuel consumption by recording distance traveled and fuel consumed, and not relying on some kind of in-car display,

Check the basic stuff.

Air pressure in tires (tyres) should be at or slightly above the factory recommended pressure. I always run about 5 P.S.I. higher to improve tire life and fuel mileage.

Check the recommended interval for spark plug replacement. It is probably around 60,000 miles. When replacing spark plugs, Toyotas tend to run better on OEM than on aftermarket.

Check the condition of the air filter to make sure it is not clogged.

Someone mentioned that the O2 sensor may be bad. Before replacing it, check its condition. With the ignition, you should get 12 volts on and off about every second.

Reply to
Ray O

No help, but; So THAT'S a picnic! Yet another model Toyota doesn't want to sell in the US, but probably one I would be interested in. The RAV-4 and the Matrix are too small for my heeds, and the Sienna is too large/expensive for what I would be putting it through. This one is JUST RIGHT. Can it be had w/4WD? If so, I want one

NOW! Are you listening, Toyota???

Reply to
hachiroku

Coyoteboy :

Where is the O2 sensor normally, before I run out and buy a manual? I think the spark plus have to be changed every 18K miles, but look OK.

Would a wobbling disc cause problems?

Reply to
top gear

Platinum-tipped spark plugs usually have a 60,000 mile life in the U.S. If you replace, use OEM plugs because aftermarket plugs occasionally cause drivability problems.

You probably have 2 O2 sensors, one sticking out of the exhaust manifold and one after the catalytic converter.

The air leaks that Coyoteboy mentioned are from cracks or leaks in the black air intake hose between the air filter and the throttle body.

A wobbling disc will cause pulsations when braking but will not affect fuel economy noticeably.

Reply to
Ray O

Did you check the alignement? I had my Camry aligned recently and the 2 front wheels were toed in equally about half an inch. Car was going straight but plowing. Obviously my gas consumption improved.

Reply to
Bassplayer12

They specify platium or normal plugs. NGK The normal plugs don't cost an arm and a leg.

Reply to
top gear

12V? Are Toyotas using something really different? I thought O2 sensors switched back and forth around 1 volt, not 12 V.

Ed

Reply to
C. E. White

All of the parameter input systems of the fuel/air ratio microprocessor controller operate at 1V to 5V, sending a 4 to 20 milli amp regulated control signal to the processor. 4 or 20 milli amps equaling 0 or 100%, as required.

mike hunt

"C. E. White" wrote:

Reply to
MelvinGibson

Definitely - thats what i meant but i just didnt say it :) lol

Does it have a wideband or a narrowband? Narrowband (standard o2 sensors output 0-1v, correct reading should be taken at 2500rpm and would have 8 fluctuations in 10 seconds or more if the sensor is good. Wideband - cant say i know about those - never looked into them.

Coyoteboy

SNIP

What instrument do you play? What kind of music? The size of the vehicule is important. My bass case fits just right in my 93 Camry's trunk and/or back seat.

Reply to
Bassplayer12

I am not a jazz player. I only picked up the bass about 3 years ago. I wish I coulp play jazz.

SNIP

I own an Ernie Ball Stingray 5 and a Yorkville 400B amp.

SNIP

I'm 51, ;-)

SNIP

I like these 3 bands.

Not at all. LOL

SNIP

Wilson Pickett. Played all these guys when I was a redio DJ, 1969-75.

I like prog. rock a lot: Pink Floyd, Genesis, Yes, RUSH, Dream Theater, Porcupine Tree, etc. hard rock: Deep Purple, etc.

SNIP

You mean: Et toi, Brute. But, who's Brute anyway?

JP

Reply to
Bassplayer12

I think I have most if not all their albums. Lighning Crashes is one amazing song. Run To The Water is one of my favourite.

SNIP

Didn't. But I knew then that I liked the "low end" very much. The more bass the better. I wish I had had the chance to learn. My father was a jazz lover and I inherited his passion but he did nothing to encourage me to learn music. When he was a kid growing up in Paris, he saw all the jazz greats, back in the 40's, Satchmo, Duke, Charlie, Miles, Stan, Sidney, etc, etc.

Porcupine Tree have some pretty amazing songs in their repertoire. I should have also added Marillion to the list. Generally, I find British rock to be the best.

SNIP

I just bought their latest DVD at Costco. Excellent! These guys can still play and sing. But those who amaze me the most: RUSH. How can these guys rock so hard at their age is beyond comprehension. Geddy Lee is, IMHO, the most amazing bassist I have seen. Chris Squire isn't far behind. The Ox was right up there with the greats too.

Who are your favorites?

Reply to
Bassplayer12

Correction: The voltage from the O2 sensor should vary between .4 and more than .55 volts.

Reply to
Ray O

SNIP

Pick up the DVD The Who & Special Guests at the Royal Albert Hall and watch the Ox do his solo on 5:15. A treat for the ears AND the eyes.

Do you mean Jonathan Noyce, who was born on the 15th July, 1971, three months after the release of Jethro Tull's "Aqualung" album or the original guy, Dave Pegg, who retired from the band in 1995? Another one from the old school: Jason Scheff from Chicago.

I'm not in the Peppers music too much but his name keeps coming up all the time. I'll have to check him out more closely. Thanks.

Reply to
Bassplayer12