New York taxi boss shops for new cabs - Crown Vic's dominance in Big Apple may end

I drove a 40' highway coach (an MC-7) around Manhattan and Brooklyn for a month. I've got street cred over ALL of ya. Never had an accident, either, although I was a moving target for all the cabbies.

NYC in the '70s was sort of like watching a preview trailer for "Fort Apache: The Bronx." Whatta DUMP!

I even screwed up just getting to the tunnel upon arrival by winding up on the Skyway in NJ. That was a fat ticket.

Reply to
DeserTBoB

Don't forget, NYC includes the Bronx, Brooklyn and Queens. There are highways there. And you reach pretty high speeds when it's not rush hour.

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff

Ford actually builds a long wheel base Crown Victoria with a larger back seat. However, it is not intended for use as a pursuit vehicle. I've been in the back of a CV police car (not as a criminal) and it is not too bad. The one I was in would have been a lot better if it didn't have the divider installed behind the back seat. The divider really cut down on the rear seat leg room. BUT, if you think a Crown Vic is bad, take a look at the back seat of a Charger.

Ed

Reply to
C. E. White

What about the new big Dodges? Cop versions are on the streets here, and they seem quite happy with them. Could keep Dodge afloat until they come out with better small cars (although those will probably come from China)

Reply to
benteaches

Why do you think those will come from China? Which company will make them. I don't think Chrysler has plants in China. And the small cars they are going to sell in South America are coming from Nissan.

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff

You just proved what I said, you don't know what you are talking about. The Interecpter has the largest rear seat and trunk of all of the current certified police vehicles sold in the US. Now go back in you hole LOL

Reply to
Mike hunt

You are entttitled to you own opinion, no mater how convaluted it may be. The fact is eight out of ten certified police vehicles sold in the US are Intercepters. I owed a fleeet service business, that maitained thousands of police vehicles, in six eastern states. I can asssure you many departments that did buy FWD cars swithched bact to RWD because the much higher mainatenance costs and down time that more than negated the $2,000 lower purchase price. The Pensylvania State Police banned the use of FWD cars in the eighties, because of their inherant poor handling on wet an ice roads, that injured and killed some of the troopers

Now do us a favor and go back in your hole and do a bit of research before you choose to comment again on a subject of which you obviously have little or no knowledge LOL

Reply to
Mike hunt

He says some departments use FWD cars. You say many don't. He provided nothing to back up his claim. You provided nothing to back up your claim, either. Sounds like you're even, unless you can prove that NOBODY in law enforcement uses FWD vehicles.

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

Can we assume you have not been on the Crosstown, LIE of Van Wick lately, if that is what you believe ;)

Reply to
Mike hunt

Duh! Does eight out of ten mean anything to you LOL

Reply to
Mike hunt

Yeah. It means you said "go back in your hole" for no reason, except that once again, you're drunk.

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

As we expect when you run out of argumdnt to support you opinion, you once again must resort to a personal attack LOL

Reply to
Mike hunt

And your saying "go back in your hole" to the other guy was NOT a personal attack?

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

Well, My Name Is NOBODY, and I DO NOT use Front Wheel Drive!

:-)

Reply to
My Name Is Nobody

Yes, but L.A. has almost as bad traffic, and the idjits that try to run still manage to find holes and head for daylight as fast as they can. Occasionally, they even succeed in getting away, but when you have all the media helicopters converging it's rare - someone will have a lock on the perp.

They'll have a 10 MPH crawling pursuit for a few minutes, then the crook will get off the freeway and turn around against the traffic and open it up to 90 again - at least till the next batch of traffic...

So raw acceleration and a decent top end is still important.

-->--

Reply to
Bruce L. Bergman

The highway is open nearly 24 hrs a day, seven days a week. The highway is quite open in the middle of night. During the day, not as much.

Reply to
Jeff

Sales of Dodge Chargers to police forces will not be enough to keep Dodge "afloat." They are going to have to do it the old fashioned way - by selling to consumers.

Reply to
Ray O

Hybrid Sienna... Hybrid Charger... Whichever Mfgr that can make a 25mpg hybrid as capable as the current crown vics is going to dominate that market. Dodge is way behind on hybrids, Toyota and Honda are by far the most advanced and numerous. Ford only has the escape, too small for a cab and not scalable (they had to buy most of their technology from Toyota, who is in no hurry to help them with anything bigger) But I digress...

Ben

Reply to
benteaches

Actually, the Escape hybrids are used as cabs in NYC.

Reply to
Jeff

responding to

uzistar wrote: C. E. White wrote: NYC TAXICAB OWNER DRIVER FOR THE PAST 36 YEARS IN NEW YORK CITY FROM MY EXPERIANCE THE BEST CAR NYC YELLOW TAXIS EVER USED WAS THE FORD CROWN VICTORIA NOW TAKE IT TO NEXT LEVEL NON BETTER THAN THE FORD CROWN VICTORIA BUILT IN ONTARIO PLANT CANADA FOR THIS HEAVY DUTY EASY TO UPKEEP BEST # 1 TAXICAB !!!

------------------------------------- NEW YORK CITY MEDDALLION TAXICAB BEST CARS ARE THE CROWN VICTORIA FROM A

36 YEARS VETERAN OF THE NYC YELLOW TAXICAB INDUSTRY OF NEW YORK CITY !!!

CommunityWeb and RSS access to your favorite newsgroup - alt.autos,alt.autos.ford,alt.autos.toyota - messages and counting!##-----------------------------------------------##

Reply to
uzistar