no wonder the US auto industry is dying

I did in different words. Besides, my opinion is just as valid as yours. It's developed by experience, knowledge and learning.

Reply to
badgolferman

Me too, developed during my over 50 years experience in the business of racing, structural design, manufacturing, retailing and servicing automobiles. ;)

mike hunt

Reply to
Mike Hunter

Pot calling the Kettle black?

Did you say 'in my opinion' as well? Don't think so.

Reply to
Dan J.S.

I was not expressing an opinion. I seldom express an opinion, just facts that I know to be true. If I do chose to express an opinion I use the term 'personally.' ;)

mike hunt

Reply to
Mike Hunter

Toyota and Honda make more reliable vehicles than Ford, GM and Chrysler is a fact.

You seem to support your arguments by bringing up one or two examples that you were involved in. I am looking at the big picture (yes i was also burned by a U.S. made car)

But - just so you know, I WISH this was not true. I wish American made cars were better. As a matter of fact I had to pickup my neighbor yesterday, whose Pontiac Grand Am (02 model) broke down on the highway.

Until unions are a thing of the past, American manufacturers can't compete in todays economy.

Reply to
Dan J.S.

You certainly are entitled to your opinion but it the opinion of a MINORITY of American buyers, not a fact. More American are obviously of the opinion that GM, Ford and Chrysler make vehicles that are as reliable as those made by Toyota and Honda. Buyers vote with their wallets. They put their money where their mouth is and they continue to buy far more GM, Ford and Chrysler vehicles than they buy Toyota and Honda vehicles, period. If you care to do a search you will find GM, Ford and Chrysler continually have sold more vehicle than ALL of the import brands combined and that IS a fact not my opinion. ;)

mike hunt

Reply to
Mike Hunter

Toyota is closing in very quickly on the #1 spot. Honda is also growing.

GM is sagging fast. Having just rented an Impalla I could see why, auto transmission technology older than in my 1995 Chrysler Concord.

Chrysler is doing OK with it's heavy 300 model only. Ford is confused.

The big 3 can't be profitable with sales sagging.

The big 3 are losing large vehicle sales and have missed the smaller SUV market, such as the Toyota Matrix.

Reply to
Spam Hater

You are somewhat confused.Toyota has yet to attain even the number three spot. Number three Chryslers sales are only half of Ford sales numbers The Escape outsells ALL of Toyota SUV types. Even the Pontiac Vibe twin of the Matrix sells better among those who know it is a Toyota at a Pontiac price. Not everyone is foolish enough to pay Toyotas prices. The biggest growth in import sale is not Toyota or Honda, it is in the lower cost Koran brands. Look in their dealers used car lots and you will see an awful lot of Japanese brands are being traded on their cars.

mike hunt\

Reply to
Mike Hunter

Reply to
TheSnoMan

Better do a bit of research my friend, what I posted is factual. The Camry has NEVER been the number one selling vehicle in the US, period. It was the number on selling CAR and at best around number six in the list of best selling vehicles in the US The others being GM, Ford and Dodge trucks and SUVs. Any vehicle sold by most any manufacture today will easily go to 200K or more given the proper maintenance, Toyotas are not unique I own a 1971 domestic that has nearly 300k on the clocks and still going strong

mike hunt

Reply to
Mike Hunter

Here's the info as to who's number one:

Although GM may still be number one in sales, the overall net value goes to Toyota with $117 billion (the leader) verses the $16 billion of GM. GM even slid down in worth against Harley-Davidson who came to the table with $17 billion.

No doubt much of the GM problem is their union dues the negotiated as of late. If Toyota continues their gain of six sales for every one lost, then it could point to them overtaking GM in a few years.

Reply to
B. Peg

Here's another key point from that article which proves "Mike Hunt(er)" wrong yet again:

"Now, while GM is still number one, Chrysler is no longer number three and Ford is more or less losing its grip on second place, the latter two victims of Toyotas interstellar rise in popularity."

I believe Toyota has been ahead of Crapsler in U.S. sales for at least 5 years now.

Reply to
High Tech Misfit

You mean like back in 1985 when the pundits were predicting Toyota was 'poised' to over take Ford? LOL

mike hunt

Mike Hunter

You believe wrong Toyota outsold Chrysler in one quarter of 2003. Toyotas total sales today are well below Chrysler and Ford sells more than twice as many vehicles as does Toyota. In fact Ford sells more trucks alone than Toyota sells cars and trucks combined. ;)

mike hunt

Mike Hunter

I remember when they dispalce the Ford Tarus as the number one sell car. I was glad because I got tired of those ford commercails.

Reply to
TheSnoMan

Irrelevant and doesn't matter today. Toyota has more capital than Ford.

Look at the S&P numbers now - or even for the past 5 years on the enclosed links:

Surprisingly, Daimler-Chrysler has held pretty steady (excluding 2003) compared to GM and Ford. Toyota, Honda, and Nissan are climbing all over GM and Ford though.

If gas climbs to $4 next summer, once the cheaper ethanol additive winter is over, all the U.S. manufacturers will take a hit. Can't believe Ford is laying off their engineers. Seems like now is the time they need them. The U.S. auto companies really drag their feet when it comes to reading the future's market.

Reply to
B. Peg

OK, your argument is like saying BMW is not the highest performing vehicle, because more people buy GM, Ford and Chrysler, and since people vote with their money and not buy BMW, the BMW is really not a great performer.

People do not always buy whats reliable, but what is affordable. Look at Kia, people are buying those like crazy, even though they do not rank high on the reliability scale.

Reply to
Dan J.S.

Do a bit of research. Market share may be down in the ever GROWING US market but GM is still number one, Ford is still number two, Chrysler is still number three and Toyota is still number four and the fastest growing sales segment are the Korean cars. As to fuel cost, GM makes and sells more high mileage cars than Toyota. Toyota has a higher percentage of left over 2005 models still in dealer stores than GM, Ford or Chrysler and Toyota already have rebates on their best selling models like the Camry ;)

mike hunt

Reply to
Mike Hunter

That is what you are saying not me. I'm comparing vehicles of the same size and equipment. The Camry is the best selling car because more buyers believe that is the best car for their money, the same reason the F150 is the best selling vehicle and the Explorer is the best selling mid size SUV and the Escape is the best selling small SUV etc. Buyers buy Korean cars because they don't believe it is worth paying 20% to 30% more to buy a Toyota. By the way BMW outsells Cadillac. ;)

mike hunt

Reply to
Mike Hunter

Well stated and true, Dan.