Now I Want this Cute Little Smart Hybrid Car Coming to US in 2007

Introducing the new Chrsyler Smart Crosstown. BTW, you can let the top down as well as the windshield like Jeep's. Compact smart hybrid cars have been in Europe since 1998. US is a decade behind. Compact hybrids are great to travel in for work, light loads and seats two people. I love it. Forget the ForTwo. This is a lot cuter. It's only 15,000 Euros (Approx. $20,000 USD).

Joey

Reply to
kangaroojoey

What relation does it have to Studebaker (or a Toyota for that matter crossposter)and why would I want to spend $20,000 for a car that could go in the bed of my truck, wouldn't want to take out on the Interstate, and generally doesn't do the things normally expected of a car better than a $13,000 Kia?

There is a reason those things haven't even been able to make money in Europe!

They are cool looking little things but just don't make sense in real life.

Jeff DeWitt

snipped-for-privacy@email.com wrote:

Jeffrey DeWitt

The one my dear wife and I would like is the "Carver" - sort of a triked motorcycle with a body and it tilts 45° to either side as you corner. Still around $40,000 Euros though. Maybe we'll just get our GoldWing triked and put on the electric vests for now...

Brooksie

Brooksie

Check this out . . . looks a lot more fun than a Carver. :) -Dave

Dave

how so?

Reply to
me

I saw one in the back lot at a Lexus dealer about six months ago (don't know why it was there). Tiny, but the passenger space looked fine. Certainly has it's uses if one just needs a "city" car. But considering you can get a fully loaded VW Rabbit for $15,000 msrp, I think I'd pick the "real" car.

Alan

Reply to
wtrplnet

When did Chrysler become synonymous with UG-LEEE!

Reply to
Hachiroku

For commuting around town, or driving the 17 miles to work, I could see where it would be useful.

Also, you have to realize, that for 3 mile drives for cups of coffee, etc, it makes NO sense to fire up an IC engine. Talk about asking for trouble!

If this thing runs mostly on batteries/electric motor, it would be a good, um, 'vehicle' for short trips to the store, etc!

Hachiroku

They sure have.

They look like a throwback to the "box' era with high belt lines and minimum glass exposure.

Ugleeeeeee fer sho'!

JT

Reply to
Grumpy AuContraire

I'm not in love with the looks of anything that has come out since the late

90's. My favorite look is a throwback to the 77 Corolla, or further back: MG-TC or Model A.

Charles of Schaumburg

Reply to
n5hsr

Um, 1960?

Reply to
Mike Harris

The 4.7 liter/100km converts to around 50 U.S. MPG, which is less than the U.S. spec Prius' 60 MPG city, 51 MPG highway, 55 MPG combined fuel economy. The Prius is larger and seats 5 passengers instead of the Smart Crosstown's

2, and there are conventionally powered vehicle that approach the Prius's fuel economy for less money than the Prius or the Crosstown.
Reply to
Ray O

Well, I can't handle the look of a model "A" when compared to the classics of the era such as my '31 Prez State Coupe. Just a mere 7 1/2 feet from the windshield to the front bumper...

JT

Reply to
Grumpy AuContraire

Now THAT'S putting things in perspective!

Jeff DeWitt

Reply to
Jeffrey DeWitt

And therein lies the real problem with the "Smart" cars. Too much money, too slow, too little carrying capacity, and for the size of the vehicle the fuel mileage just isn't that good.

Guess it's another example of DC's fine engineering...

Jeff DeWitt

Reply to
Jeffrey DeWitt

Some people would say 1934, when the Airflow came out.

I rather like the way they look, but I may be weird too!

Jeff DeWitt

Reply to
Jeffrey DeWitt

Theirs, or ours? :)

nate

Reply to
N8N

Chrysler has to be kidding. If the EV-1 had been this ugly, GM could have killed its electric car in 20 minutes, at whatever lease fee they'd asked for it. Driving one of these monstrosities would force me to wear a mask so that no one would recognize me and thus embarrass me! and at 20 grand, it's just ludicrous....maybe a new one out the door for $7,000 would make a bit of sense, but for $20,000, I'd sooner get a four year old Lexus with all the bells and whistles and hang the gas expense. I have to think that if a Chrysler salesman had an interested buyer and mentioned in conclusion that it cost "only" 20 big ones, the customer would have every right to laugh and say "yeah, right....what is it REALLY?" To my mind, the latest bunch of Chrysler products have been designed by someone who doesn't like cars much....the small windowed "armored car" look leaves me cold. The last halfway decent looking Chrysler was (IMO) the Sebring convertible, except that the back seat was suitable only for five year olds and double amputees.

Reply to
mack

LOL! You and me both!

The problem with the Airflow was it was too much of a shock for the car buying public, and it also came out at the WRONG time.

It had a lot of innovations, though!

Reply to
Hachiroku

Yeah, there were some prime examples then, weren't there.

I remember hearing a story about a friend's cousing who was skewered by a Desoto fin...

Reply to
Hachiroku