Now I Want this Cute Little Smart Hybrid Car Coming to US in 2007

Introducing the new Chrsyler Smart Crosstown. BTW, you can let the top down as well as the windshield like Jeep's. Compact smart hybrid cars
have been in Europe since 1998. US is a decade behind. Compact hybrids are great to travel in for work, light loads and seats two people. I love it. Forget the ForTwo. This is a lot cuter. It's only 15,000 Euros (Approx. $20,000 USD).
http://www.automobilemag.com/auto_shows/frankfurt/0509_smart_crosstown_concept /
http://www.auto-power-girl.com/photo_gallery/smart/smart_crosstown_hybrid_showcar-834
Joey
What relation does it have to Studebaker (or a Toyota for that matter crossposter)and why would I want to spend $20,000 for a car that could go in the bed of my truck, wouldn't want to take out on the Interstate, and generally doesn't do the things normally expected of a car better than a $13,000 Kia?
There is a reason those things haven't even been able to make money in Europe!
They are cool looking little things but just don't make sense in real life.
Jeff DeWitt
snipped-for-privacy@email.com wrote:

http://www.auto-power-girl.com/photo_gallery/smart/smart_crosstown_hybrid_showcar-834
The one my dear wife and I would like is the "Carver" - sort of a triked motorcycle with a body and it tilts 45 to either side as you corner. Still around $40,000 Euros though. Maybe we'll just get our GoldWing triked and put on the electric vests for now...
Brooksie

Check this out . . . looks a lot more fun than a Carver. :) -Dave
http://www.go-t-rex.com/videos.asp?nav=en-us

how so?
On Sun, 26 Nov 2006 16:47:47 +0000, Jeffrey DeWitt wrote:

For commuting around town, or driving the 17 miles to work, I could see where it would be useful.
Also, you have to realize, that for 3 mile drives for cups of coffee, etc, it makes NO sense to fire up an IC engine. Talk about asking for trouble!
If this thing runs mostly on batteries/electric motor, it would be a good, um, 'vehicle' for short trips to the store, etc!

This is something I'm debating abt.
Does it really make sense to have specialized vehicles for different kinds of trips?
IOW...... a city car or scooter such as for three mile trips....and then a bigger car for the long distance highways trips?
Could it be that having a highway car and using it for all trips makes for better economics than owning specialized vehicle and having to maintain different vehicles, have multiple insurance policies, etc?
I once flew from Dallas to Austin. I was surprised when I got on a full size jet to make this "hop". We no longer got up to altitude when it seemed as tho we were starting the decent down.
I asked someone why they did have much smaller commuter jets for such a trip and the answer was that it is more effective to have only one jet.....maintain one set of parts..... one set of mechanics....etc.... than have multiple jets and the assorted "infrastructure".
Is this true? Could it really be more cost effective to use one highway car for all trips rather than have separate specialized vehiclea?
On Sun, 26 Nov 2006 17:35:45 -0600, me wrote:

He don't know me well, do he? ;)
I have: A Scion tC I just bought. It gets drivein in the rain...only when it has to, because I don't wnat to drive my...
'88 Supra "SportRoof" (Targa) in the rain. Bsaically because the roof leaks, but also because I don't WANT it getting wet!
So, on those days, I drive my...
'92 Grand Voyager. AWD. Mostly rain and snow. It goes on the road in November when the Supra comes off, and vice-versa in April. I was running all three, but got sick of owing my soul to the Ins Co. ($1925 for all three...)
I traded a '92 LHS for the Scion. I think I should have kept it, but I also had my...
1985 Toyota Celica GTS. I ran this car daily for 3 years (except in the snow) until I got the Supra and decided to quit fixing the Celica. Sorry I did. It was a good car!
So, the Scion is for longer trips (7 miles or more), the Supra is a "Summer Beater" the van is a "Winter Beater" (I was playing in a band when I bought it, but our guitar player hasn't been heard from since July...)and for driving those 3 mile trips, since it really IS a beater much more than the other two.
Now, about the "Hachiroku" (Corolla GTS Twin Cam) I have sitting in my backyard, awaiting restoration...

I think if I was going to get a short hop vehicle, I might break down and get a moped. Other than that, the 93 Corolla does just fine.
Charles of Schaumburg.
On Sun, 26 Nov 2006 17:35:45 -0600, snipped-for-privacy@privacy.net wrote:

If that jet was full for the trip, it makes more sense to run two flights a day with the seats full (150 people at a shot), than a dozen flights with smaller planes that only hold 25 passengers.
Just look at the Passengers To Crew Costs ratio for openers, then the seat-miles per gallon of fuel burned, and the seat-miles per maintenance dollar. The little plane only gets to divide the costs among 25 passengers, but the bigger plane divides them among 150.
The airlines aren't going to deliberately do things in a way that loses them money.
--<< Bruce >>--

So am I not sure if you are agreeing with my observation or not?
Would you say that there is SOME merit...sometimes.... to having one vehicle and use for all trips vs higher efficient MULITIPLE vehicles?
I'm not saying I be live this or not....I really don't know. Id just like you guys opinions

If I remember correct.... the flights was maybe half full..... but VERY short.
I bet its only a few hundered air miles between Dallas and Austin yet we were in a 727

The answer to the question from a cost perspective depends on how many highway trips and short hops the owner makes. For example, if the owner makes 20 trips under 3 miles per week and only takes trips longer than 1 hour once a year, then the highway cruiser does not make economic sense - it is probably less expensive to rent a larger car for a week than to own it for a year. On the other side of the spectrum, if the owner spends most of the time on the highway and takes 2 or 3 short trips a week, then the highway cruiser makes more sense.
Besides cost, there are other things to consider when purchasing a vehicle, like comfort, safety, people and cargo capacity, poor-weather capability, and personal driving preferences.
--

Ray O
(correct punctuation to reply)
"Ray O" <rokigawaATtristarassociatesDOTcom> wrote:

Thanks
That logic make sense
It depends on the "type" of driving.
Just to be devils advocate....what if the mix above is roughly half and half tho?
I currently own a Mazda Protege which has been a good car and gets good mileage.
But I guess in my mind I'm trying to analyze if I'm better served at buying a moped for my 3 mile trips to the coffee shop, library, etc.
Or....am I better served by only have ONE motorized vehicle and using it for ALL trips regardless of the type of trip.

If the mix is half and half, then the owner needs to determine whether to choose a vehicle based more on economy or on comfort and performance. Even "economy" cars have come a long ways in comfort and performance, especially on the highway, and highway cruisers have improved greatly on fuel economy.
We have a Sequoia, and I drove 5 college kids back to school after Thanksgiving break yesterday. It was packed to the gills, including a luggage carrier on the roof. A smaller vehicle would not have fit 5 passengers, a semester's worth of laundry each, and the driver. I do not cart our 3 kids plus their friends around as much as I used to, so we really only need the Sequoia's capacity once a month or so. I also suspect that we end up as the transporter or large loads and lots of people because we have the capacity, and would not be the driver as often if we had a smaller vehicle. Perhaps a Highlander or Rav4 would make more sense for our next vehicle.

A moped or motor-driven cycle uses so little fuel and requires so little maintenance that it may make economic sense for frequent short trips, but then, a bicycle would make even more economic sense.
--

Ray O
(correct punctuation to reply)
"Ray O" <rokigawaATtristarassociatesDOTcom> wrote:

Agree
And I do plan to get a bicycle
"Ray O" <rokigawaATtristarassociatesDOTcom> wrote:

So does having ONE vehicle still make better cost effective sense than having two specialized vehicles?
Again assuming you've chosen the one vehicle for the BULK of your driving?

In this example,
Car "A" is a $15,000 compact car that gets 20 MPG and gas is $2.00/gallon.
1 year cost to drive 15,000 miles: Insurance: $1,000 Depreciation: $1,000 Gas 750 gallons @ 20 MPG x $2.00/gallon = $1,500 Maintenance: $100 Total to drive 15,000 miles not incl. car cost: $3,600
1 year cost to drive 30,000 miles: Innsurance: $1,000 Depreciation: $1,500 Gas 1500 gal @ 20 MPG x $2.00/gal = $3,000 Maintenance: $200 total to drive 30,000 mi. not incl. car cost: $5,700
Additional cost to drive Car A 30,000 miles instead of 15,000 miles $2,100.
************************************* Car "B" is a $10,000 sub-cocmpact car that gets 40 MPG and gas is $2.00/gallon 1 year cost to drive 15,000 miles Insurance: $1,000 Depreciation: $1,000 Gas 375 gal @ 40 MPG x $2.00/gal = $750 Maintenance: $100 Total to drive 15,000 miles not incl. car cost: $2,850 **************************************
In this example, the cost to drive Car A 15k miles = $3,600 and to drive the same car 30k miles costs $2,100 more, or $5,700
If you do not put those miles on Car A and buy Car B the cost of driving each car 15,000 miles combined costs = $3,600 + $2,850 = $6,450, and that doesn't take into account the additional money invested to acquire the second car.
The break-even point to acquire a second econobox is probably around 50,000 or 60,000 miles on the second car.
--

Ray O
(correct punctuation to reply)
No response necessary on this (and thus top posted on purpose), but I just gotta tell you Ray that you provide some patient, thorough and wonderful responses to this NG. Thanks for being around. Tomes
"Ray O" <rokigawaATtristarassociatesDOTcom> wrote in message

On Mon, 27 Nov 2006 12:28:15 -0600, me wrote:

Once again, I could have eliminated 2 vehicles by either buying a newer mini-van or a Subaru AWD Wagon.
But, I like 'sports' cars. So for me, it really doesn't make sense to have more than one car, but it does. I use the van for a lot of stuff (and for hauling the occasional load that even a Suby Wagon couldn't accomodate...those are pretty far between, but I *have* the capability when I need it..). I didn't want a wagon or a van for a primary car.
As far as the Supra...it's not going anywhere for quite a while... ;)