Oil company reports record high profits thanks to GWB

If that were true, the money wouldn't be going to profits.

Certainly not Bush/Cheney and their oil buddies.

Oil Companies took record (at that time) profits.

Partially. That, and the decline in reserves causing an unrelistic panic.

In each case of a gas spike (not just a few cents here/few cents there), the oil compaines announced huge profits. CEO's got big checks. The general public got screwed.

It's happening again now.

Reply to
Gary L. Burnore

Gary L. Burnore wrote in news:d2u6c9$k7m$ snipped-for-privacy@pizzaboi.databasix.com:

Yes it does, if supply is high enough. That's exactly what happened in the spring of 1983 as all those newly-uncapped wells flooded the market with new fuel.

Prices of all commodities go up and down all the time, and historically trend *down* over the years. Just about all commodities are cheaper now than they were in 1980. I seem to remember a famous bet between economist Julian Simon and activist Paul Ehrlich on just this very subject. Follow the investment section of your local paper for a few years to see this effect in action.

Until this recent spike, gas was cheaper in real terms than at any other time in history.

Of course they're lining their pockets, just like drug dealers when prices are high because drugs are illegal (a 10,000% profit margin buys a lot of explosives).

Gas prices are high primarily because refinery capacity is so tight. When supply is that tight, it takes very little outside influence to jack the price. Some possibilities:

1) War or the threat of it 2) Threat of other disruptions to supply (refinery fire, etc.) 3) Labor unrest 4) Environmental and zoning laws 5) NIMBY-ism 6) Special-interest activism 7) Speculation by commodities traders

Oil companies do not set the prices. The market does. Prices are set by bidding in the futures and the spot-price market, and those speculators are responding to many factors.

Bush is "dead set" aginst using *taxpayer's money* to make "alternatives" viable. If an energy source is truly viable, it will require no outside support, and Bush would have no say in it. So far there is no "alternative" energy source that fits this bill.

Reply to
TeGGer®

It's truly amazing how the whack-job libs miss that time and time again.

And the spoon-fed mainstream media morons expect the truth from them?

------------------------------------------------ The DNC - Building a bridge to the 20th Century.

Reply to
Eric Dreher

Then why did it happen now, when the Energy commission reported our reserves as the highest they've been in 6 years?

Except Oil. Fuel oil, Gasoline and Diesel to be exact. Have you noticed that The oil you put in your car hasn't increased as much as the price of Gas and Diesel?

I remember when it was 25 cents a gallon. Don't give me that crap about how it's cheaper now. 2.35/gallon is not cheaper.

Neat stretch.

Yes they do. They up the prices at their own stations and nail people who don't follow suit. A good example is the dealer in NY (or was it NJ) recently who list his franchise because he refused to raise his prices when BP demanded he did.

And yet it's the OIL COMPANIES making the record profits.

Of course he is. If alternatives are made available, his cronies will lose billions in income from our dependence on oil.

There are plenty. They just don't make money for the Enrons of the world.

Reply to
Gary L. Burnore

Yup....

The American way!

...or if you can do better...just start your own company...

-- Scott in Florida

Reply to
Scott in Florida