{OT} Seigniorage Curse

Can we print unlimited dollars to get us out of our mess?

"The Seigniorage Curse appears to hollow out the economy by the following manner: First, the premium charged to holders of dollars becomes a new source of accrued, aggregate revenue. This extra capital flowing into the economy is initially seen as a global honoring of our economy?s strength, and innovation. But when innovation falters and less value is created, seigniorage is maintained?and thus the unhealthy dynamic begins. From this point forward, whether the US economy either leads in innovation, or lags in innovation, the Dollar advantage grows regardless. It then becomes clear that manufacturing Dollars, rather than manufacturing goods, is a better value proposition. Once that dynamic is in place, then a long cycle of financialization ensues, in which innovation and talent moves from design and manufacturing to the financial sector. The financial sector then becomes rapacious, as it scours what?s left of the economy to monetize. Whereas manufacturing and innovation were once monetized, the financial sector begins to monetize itself Every inheritance starts out as a gift. Just as oil-cursed nations remain ever vulnerable to swings in the price of oil, the United States is now vulnerable to its own number one export?the value of the US Dollar and by extension the value of US Treasury Bonds."

Fat Moe