Parking on a steep driveway?

I'm not that knowledgeable when it comes to cars. Is there a recommended way to park a car if you're on a steep driveway? Steep would mean that the ground level at the garage is higher than the ground level of the road.

I was told that I should park the car with the front facing the road, and that it was bad to park it with the back facing the road. Any truth to this?

Also, when parking, I was told that I should engage the emergency brakes first before putting the car on park. What would be the reason for this?

Thanks! Corolla '06 owner

Reply to
1a2b3c4d5e

This may have been true at one time but I don't think it is so anymore. The oil pump will splash oil everywhere when you start up the car and today's oil is much thinner at startup than it used to be so it flows quite nicely regardless of the temperature or gravity.

This is good practice because it takes the pressure off the transmission pin and puts it on the parking brake, where it should be.

Reply to
badgolferman

You should always set the parking brake, put the transmission in gear (Park for a automatic) and turn off the ignition when you get out of the car. Even on flat ground. When you park on a steep hill the front wheels should be turned so if something happened it can not just take off down the hill so to speak.

When the front of the car is down hill point the front wheels into the curb. (curb = something to stop the car) When the front of the car is up hill point the front wheels away from the curb.

Parking instructions can be found inside the owners manual for just about any car.

GL Dan

Reply to
Danny G.